I wrote a small extension for Visual Studio 2015.
It adds UCLASS, UFUNCTION, USTRUCT, UINTERFACE, UPROPERTY and metadata macro specifiers to VS IntelliSense.
LightBulb suggestions to remove invalid specifiers.
If you find it usefull\useless feel free to leave feedback or something.
This is great, thanks! Definitely installing this.
My only concern is that with all of the extensions I need to make C++ usable in VS, loading the project is eventually going to take longer than compiling it Resharper is already doing its best to make it that way it, haha.
Heh, no, I obviously don’t use Resharper with UE. Unfortunately I don’t have a 5000 GHz CPU. For smaller sized C++ projects it works fine though - it’s not as good as C# Resharper but it’s still quite useful. The problem with Resharper and UE4 is that the .generated.h files created by UnrealHeaderTool cause Resharper to re-parse all of the source code. So basically it works fine, you just have to never change any code or compile your project.
Pro tip: you can create a keyboard shortcut to disable Resharper (Resharper_ToggleSuspended in the VS shortcut settings). Very useful if you want to preserve your sanity when working with UE4!
Oh, that. Yeah working with Reshaper\VAX is not guaranteed. I thought you talking about vanilla Intellisense not showing you some “meta” specifiers with this plugin.
Resharper use its own autocomplete solution which correlates with Intellisense. So you can use one or the other, not both.
This also applies to Visual Assist X.
Just wanted to add that this extension is usable with ReSharper. As long as in the ReSharper intellisense options you set the intellisense to Visual Studio, instead of ReSharper’s implementation then it works fine. The upside being that ReSharper is still enabled, giving you intellisense (provided by VS) and ReSharpers formatting and code generation features.
As a plus, if you are running into low memory or performance issues I’ve found that disabling auto tune cached translation units in options>text editor>C++>advanced and setting it in the same page to a low number like 2 or 4 (depending on what it was previously set as) I’ve gotten a massive performance boost when using the editor and using intellisense in general.
Hopefully this can be of help to others too if people are having issues with Visual Studio performance and/or trying to get this nice extension working with a extension like ReSharper.