Please !!! Why does the FPS limit create a bottleneck?

1920*1080 game resolution
pc spec : laptop i7-12700h
3080ti
32 ram win 11
unreal engine 5.1.1

issue :
If I set the FPS limit to 60 in the game, there are no stutters, but if I increase it beyond the maximum it can reach (which was 75 at these settings), it creates a bottleneck at around 100 or 150 FPS, and I’ve been optimizing my game for months without realizing that the FPS limit was the issue. My monitor has a refresh rate of 240 Hz. How can I solve this problem? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Try setting the nvidia control panel settings for unreal editor to not have limited frame rate.

1 Like

Unreal sruffs the buffer to achieve your desired constant FPS.

It has done this since inception.

And so do other engines (some do it better but still).

Its just one reliable way to guarantee you have a constant output.

Nvidia settings have nothing to do with it per-se.
Your project settings should just be set to Unbound until you finish debugging performance and are ready to launch.

Once you are unbound, whatever you can reach is what the game is reaching.
Your bottleneck is probably going to be the rendering if at 4k.
Around 1080p you may be able to pull 120fps on a 3080ti. But don’t count on it.

A base project of .27 ran at 4k on a 4090 runs around 100fps if even.
The engine’s rendering performance has been more and more atrocious as time passes (from .18 onwards).

1 Like

So you’re saying there isn’t much I can do about it. For now, I added a screen percentage option in the settings of my game so that players can lower it, and I also enabled VSync to cap the frame rate and provide better results for players. And yes, I’m using my G9 Neo 5120-1440 monitor in windowed mode, and it lags, but when I downscale the game to 1080p, there is no lag. As the game gets bigger, players will have to tweak the settings a bit. Thank you for your help ^^

1 Like