Player Characters do not react to moving Prop Collision while idle.

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Character

Summary

Player Characters are not displaced by moving Props that intercept the collision of the Player. This only occurs while the Player is in a state that they are not moving (that is to say, not walking, sprinting, crouch-walking, or moving while swimming). I can imagine this is likely an intentional behaviour in the way that Fortnite Characters interact with Props, but I cannot decipher a way to override this behaviour, either with a Creative Device, or in a Verse Device with my own code.

Steps to Reproduce

Using UEFN, create a new UEFN Project, using the Blank Level template to create the default Level. Place a Prop within the Level, near a Player Spawn Pad Creative Device (for consistency in testing, add/remove Player Spawn Pads until there is only one in the Level). For best results, the chosen Prop should have a tall Static Mesh, such as from a “wall” Prop available in the “Fortnite/Props” directory of the Content Browser. Optionally, create a Water Creative Device and place it elsewhere in the path of the Prop’s movement path, in a place where the Player will be able to reach it during the Prop’s movement path towards their Character. The Water should have dimensions low enough that the Player Character will still be within the movement path of the Prop, but high enough for the Character’s State to reflect swimming, and not standing. Have the Prop be moved in the path of where the Player spawns, either by:

a.) Using a Verse device that calls MoveTo(…) on the creative_prop within within OnBegin. The point specified within the MoveTo(…) function should be one that intersects the spawn position of the Player Spawn Pad, and should include a “seconds” parameter so that the Translation of the Prop won’t be instantaneous.

OR

b.) Use a Prop Mover Creative Device to affect the desired Prop’s movement. Place one into the Level so that it will move the Prop in-game. With the Prop Mover Device selected, go to the Details panel, and set “On Player Collision Behavior” to “Push”.

Once the Level is set up in either configuration, launch the UEFN session, and Start the Game. When the Game Starts, Either control the Player’s movement as the Prop moves towards them, or perform no inputs, and allow the Player character to remain completely still.

Expected Result

Regardless of Player input, the wall should move the Player character out of the way of the Prop. That is to say, the Player’s Translation will be displaced from the Prop until they are out of the Prop’s inherited Collision Mesh.

Observed Result

The Player character will be displaced by the Prop if it the Player character is already moving. That is to say, if the Player character is walking, sprinting, or crouch-walking, it will be displaced from the closest point outside of the Prop’s inherited Collision Mesh. This behavior is what is expected.

However, if no Player input is performed, and the Player character is left in a state where they are not moving, or idle, the moving Prop will behave as if it has no collision, and will move past the Player character without affecting the Player’s Translation at all. This appears to be the case in both the Verse implementation of MoveTo(), and the Prop Mover Creative Device with the given parameters. Additionally, if the Player Character is in a Swimming state, this becomes much less consistent, with it only displacing the Player on occasion. This behavior is unexpected.

Platform(s)

Windows (UEFN Session)

Additional Notes

It is very possible I have overlooked something in my trial-and-error process. If there are any potential factors I overlooked in my methods, I can try testing my methods again with those factors accounted for.