Play testing Online Subsystem Error

Hello,

I have been attempting to recreate the Multiplayer Shootout’s lobby system on my own so I can understand the logic. I’m hoping I can get eXi’s attention here, but I’m having a bizarre error when I use Play with 2 players, and then my select Host Game option (which was the Multiplayer Shootout’s Play), I get the error in this picture:

(Ignore the second printString line, it was from an earlier problem) I know this error also happens in the Multiplayer Shootout game where the client will error out when the server begins to host a game, but in my instance, after half a second the screen goes entirely black and will not let go of my cursor unless I hit the Windows key to regain control. I don’t know what more information you need, and as the blueprints are rather lengthy I was hoping to ask what you’d need to see before taking screenshots of everything. Again, I have basically set up everything the same as the Multiplayer Shootout example, but after getting this error I am not given enough time to select OK and go back to select Join Game on the client.

This error appears, because you are starting the game im the Editor. When starting a Game with 2 or more players in the Editor, rather than starting 2 or more copies of the game, the players will be directly connected. Most of the time, the viewport player is the server. If you use a new game window, you can see who the server is at the top bar of the window.

The problem now is, if you host a game now, the connection they already got will be cut, because the server is starting a new server and the old one will be closed.

So this is quite normal when testing it in the Editor.

The thing with the not working server hosting is strange.
This could be due to not loading maps or destroyed widgets.

Are you sure that the server starts a map? You might want to create a new GameMode for the other map and check in the outliner if it is changed. Otherwise a picture of the Host logic would be nice.

I know the complete Shootout Game, so i won’t be that confusedm (: just put in some pictures.

For my Main Menu level, I am using the standard GameMode. For the map the ThirdPersonExampleMap has the ThirdPersonGameMode in the World Overrided Game Mode setting. When I watch the game instance for the client, I see EventNetworkError and DestroySessionCaller both launch.

Host logic images:

Hm, this could be due to UE4.8. I had similar problems when updating my Lobby System of the Marketplace from 4.7 to 4.8.

It seems like a lot of widgets are cleared when levels are changed.

This means, when the Server opens the new Server and the client looses its connection, it will return to the MainMenu and then through the Level change, the widgets will be destroyed. You could try to work around it (if this is the problem!) by check if the Variable is null and if yes, recreate the widget.

But this is a dirty way. Are you sure that the ShootOut example is not doing something else? :X It’s pretty hard to find this problem without debugging tbh.

I have been working off the 4.7 Shootout, let me test it with 4.8 and see if this is a problem with the engine…

I loaded up the Multiplayer Shooter on 4.8 and got the same crash. Looks like it’s an engine problem right now. I suppose it would only take me a few hours to transfer all of this over to 4.7 for testing, and then I can wait for the bug to be fixed in later versions. I’ll submit a bug report and link it back to this question. Thank you for your help!