Plastic SCM Source Control Provider

Hi @DamirH,

I cannot answer that myself (I am not working on a game project myself), but I would love to get such feedbacks, particularly people able to compare Perforce and PlasticSCM with UE4 (and both plugins).

I believe that managing an Unreal Engine project with the PlasticSCM Source Controler is easier to begin with thanks to the nice Init/Connect screen I developped.
I also feel that the Plastic SCM standalone GUI is far easier to learn, more modern and streamlined than that of Perforce.
But I have to admit that this is probably a bit biased, and is not even properly answering the question!

Also, you can have a look at feature requests, issues, and ongoing development tracked on Github through the “Project” Kanban:

edit: For instance at this date, OS X and partial checkin “Gluon” mode are not currently supported.

Hey @SRombauts,

Thanks for the response, I’ve looked through the SCM GUI so far and I believe it’ll be acceptable to not even have a UE4 plugin but just run the PlasticSCM GUI and commit changed files.

I agree @DamirH, most of the time using only PlasticSCM GUI for check-in is perfectly fine, probably even more streamlined at some time/for some people, and even required for developers using C++ source files for instance.

1. However, the UE4 plugin enable read-only Visual Diff of Blueprints between changelists in history or from local against latest changelist.
  2. It also help solve merge conflicts through this visual diff.
  3. It helps importing an Unreal Project into Source Control through the “Connect” screen, even adding a proper “ignore.conf” file and doing the first checkin if asked to.

Regards

ps: If you did not already, just have a look at the plugin README. Feedbacks on it are also welcome!

Super Noob here, but maybe I am missing something on installation as it doesn’t seem to work for me.

I unzipped 0.9.4-beta to the root of the project I am working on as well as tried installing to the engine directly to (in C drive/progr/…/4.14/engine) propagate across all projects.
In both cases, no ‘plugin folders’ turned up in my projects and there was no ‘plasticSCM’ source control option.

Maybe I am missing something simple here, any guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Craig

PS running 4.14.3 (as 4.13 was too unstable for our group project) and running on windows 10.

Super Noob here, but maybe I am missing something on installation as it doesn’t seem to work for me.

I unzipped 0.9.4-beta to the root of the project I am working on as well as tried installing to the engine directly to (in C drive/progr/…/4.14/engine) propagate across all projects.
In both cases, no ‘plugin folders’ turned up in my projects and there was no ‘plasticSCM’ source control option.

Maybe I am missing something simple here, any guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Craig

PS running 4.14.3 (as 4.13 was too unstable for our group project) and running on windows 10.

EDIT:
After a little more tinkering I got it working. The mistake was that I used WinRar to ‘Extract Here’ then copied that folder called UE4 Plastic Plugin
What I should of done and did do was right click the zip, extract to folder, then chose the root of the project, then it worked. Source control up and running with Plastic cloud. Just gotta see if it all works now.

On a second note entirely.

I am basically trying to set up Plastic SCM Cloud as an alternative to Perforce as that software, although great, doesn’t have plastic SCM’s cloud integration, super easy setup and GLUON, which is great by the way.

The thing I’m scratching my head about though is how do I get Plastic to automatically sync check outs across to all users across the internet at the time I am editing them so that they are locked out to other changes?

For example, I start editing a texture in UE4, select check out in UE4 or the GUI so I assume only I can edit it, I then have to sync that check in at that time, but even then on my group member’s other computer, it doesn’t say that my file has been checked out, and they are free to check out the same texture asset.

The issue I am worried about is that we’re both going to make changes to the same texture or other asset at more or less the same time and there will end up being a file conflict or something.

I only say this as I am coming from a Perforce background and that’s generally how it worked, once you checked out a file, and when everyone updated their ‘wkspace / depot’ that morning before starting work, they would see that I had that particular texture checked out and wouldn’t be able to edit and submit changes to it.

Again, maybe I am missing something but on the face of it, plastic seemed to have the exact same functionality. If anyone can help explain the process and how it works in layman’s terms, I would really appreciate it. Many thanks
Craig

Hi, you should better ask these questions in the Plastic SCM forums, or check their documentation

What you are looking for is how to configure the ‘locking’ mechanism.
On a local server, you do this with a lock.conf file global to the server.
On theur cloud serveurs you would have a web interface, but this I never tried (yet).

Hi Sebastien,

Regarding your recent GIT commits for your UE4 PSCM plugin, it seems your are preparing to update it for UE 4.15. Can you confirm ? If yes, do you think it is possible to test it in the current preview release (version 2).

Regards,

hlx

Yes I am preparing for a release, I would need some more testing. But if you can compile it by yourself (as a game plugin) go and give it a try, there is no reason it should not work properly.
Met le know if you need a binary release urgently!

No, it is not so urgent, I will wait your 4.15 compliant release ( during february, I guess).

I have released a first version for UE 4.15 preview, enjoy!

Regards!

First of all, thank you so much for this, it’s really awesome!

I can’t seem to understand just how to install this? The folder you mention in the readme do not magically appear. Can you ELI5, please?

root\UE4PlasticPlugin-4.15 and root\Plugins\UE4PlasticPlugin-4.15 doesn’t work. What am I overlooking? Thanks!

Hi @SebastianLarsen,

1. First of all, download the plugin from the release page? You should get à UE4PlasticPlugin-0.9.6-beta.zip 351KB file.

2. When you unzip it you get, depending on the method, either directly a Plugins folder, or it get folded inside of the folder that got created by your unziper (“UE4PlasticPlugin-0.9.6-beta/Plugins/UE4PlasticPlugin” for instance)

3. Then either:
    3.1. move this Plugins/ folder into the root of your Game project (thus giving you something like C:\Users\srombauts\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject\Plugins\UE4PlasticPlugin
    3.2. move the UE4PlasticPlugin/ folder into the “Plugins/” folder of you Engine (typically C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.15\Engine\Plugins\UE4PlasticPlugin)

Hope this is clearer? I will update the README with those precise examples.
Cheers!

aaaah, the release page! The downloads from the front page wasn’t working as expected.

Thank you very much indeed and thanks for the hard work you put into this. Where’s the donate button? :slight_smile:

Thank you for you amazing plugin! Unfortunately we are having one issue with it.
Our team only shares the Content folder of our mod, but since it doesn’t include the DefaultEngine.ini file, we have no way to change any of the project settings.
The log says the Config folder is not in workspace.
What should we do about this?

I can imagine you likely solved this by now, but perhaps consider keeping the full directory structure and just leave the things you don’t want in that SCM as Private? This would allow you to keep DefaultEngine.ini and its directory path.

Bonjour SRombauts,

I have a very minor issue. I had typed something besides cm into the ‘Plastic SCM Path’ field in the plugin setup window within UE4.

It does not keep my settings. I must set it up once again each time I launch the Editor. Is there a config file of sorts holding the Path info somewhere so I may clear it? I wish it would just hold the string ‘cm’, and not my typo.

Besides that, the plugin works exceptionally well for me and I am enjoying Plastic with UE4 very much. As an aside:
Consider adding a bit of troubleshooting or FAQ to the readme. For instance things like setting up ‘lock rules’ on the Plastic cloud or server etc. Took me a moment to get locking working properly across all systems. Of course it was easy after adding .uasset and .umap and making sure I was properly connected by running ‘cm status’. Coming from Git, I had a few things to familiarize myself with.

Merci,

I discovered someone else had posted a solution before on the AnswerHub. Might be helpful to someone else:

Hi @IhanaMies, hi [MENTION=23139]The Revera Corporation[/MENTION], I don’t know why I did not get notifications for your questions, sorry for the delay!
Please don’t hesitate to notify my explicitly using “@SRombauts”, or post a question as a Github issue.

I am still working on the Plugin, I’ve made some update for upcoming 4.16, and I will try to reproduce the problems you reported here (even if they appear to be with the Editor itself more than with the plugin).

Best Regards,