I have been working hard for the past month to develop a new Source Control plugin for Plastic SCM (think modern Perforce with efficient and understandable GUI and very powerful branching management, with some Git inter-operability).
Edit (original text continues at the end of this post):
Nearly 2 years after I started this work, the plugin is now fully featured (currently in v1.2.0 for UE4.18.3, and code ready for upcoming 4.19 and 4.20, please see my signature or latest post for up-to-date information).
It automates tracking of assets, brings common SCM tasks inside the Editor, and provides visual diffing of Blueprints. It also helps importing an existing UE4 Project into source contorl, with appropriate ignore.conf file.
Please, read carefully the detailed instruction on Readme (or bellow), and report any issue or limitation not already described here.
Source Control Login window, to create a new workspace/a new repository:
Source Control status tooltip, when hovering the Source Control icon in toolbar:
Source Control top Menu, extended whith specific Plastic SCM commands:
Submit Files to Source Control window, to check-in assets:
File History window, to see the changelog of an asset:
Visual Diffing of different revision of a Blueprint:
- Source Control user interface
- Source Control Inside Unreal Editor
- Diffing Unreal Assets
- Diffing Blueprints (Video)
Status Version 1.2.0 2018/02/05 for UE4.18.2:
- manage connection to the server
- show current branch name and CL in status text
- display status icons to show controled/checked-out/added/deleted/private/changed/ignored files
- display locked files, and by who
- add, duplicate a file
- move/rename a file or a folder
- revert modifications of a file (works best with the “Content Hot-Reload” option since UE4.15)
- checkin a set of files with a multiline UTF-8 comment
- migrate (copy) an asset between two projects if both are using Plastic SCM
- delete file (but no way to checkin them, see known issues bellow)
- update workspace to latest head (Sync command)
- show history of a file
- visual diff of a blueprint against depot or between previous versions of a file
- initialize a new workspace to manage your UE4 Game Project.
- make the initial commit with a custom message
- create an appropriate ignore.conf file as part of initialization
- also permit late creation of the ignore.conf file
- show conflicted files and 3-way visual diff
- solve a merge conflict on a blueprint
- top-menu global “Sync” instead of on folder’s context menu
- top-menu global “undo unchanged” and “undo all checkout”
- Partial Checkin (like Gluon, for artists)
- Plastic Cloud is fully supported
- Windows only
- Mac OS X Support
Edit: original text: So here I am with a third alpha release, now already stable and useful:
- status icons for assets
- check-out files
- add, rename, delete asset files
- history log of an asset
- Visual Diff of Blueprints
Disclaimer: I’ve done this work for Codice Software, the company behind Plastic SCM.