Pixel Art question

I have a question about pixel art if you don’t mind answering me:

Does the intial pixel amount matter much or will it mostly look similiar once scale it i.e a smaller amount of pixels for simpler enemies won’t be too jarring compared to ones that i want more detail on like cloth effects or jewelry

Thanks in advance for the help :slight_smile:

If you scale up by a significant amount, it will absolutely be noticeable. There are shaders you can write that try to reduce the jagginess (by essentially “rounding the corners”) but for a typical 2D game you should plan on drawing all art at 1:1 with your target screen resolution.
(Or, if you go for the “blocky look,” 1:4, and turn off texture filtering/interpolation …)

Then should I make more detailed characters with a higher pixel count and then scale it down in unreal so I can detail it more or what should I do?

It’s generally better to make bigger resolution than you need, assuming you can afford it, because that allows you to “remaster” if the spec goes up later.

I suggest you make two of each of your “main characters” and “mook characters” at a resolution that seems OK to you, and then put them on the screen playing some walking or attacking animation, and see what it looks like.
If it doesn’t look like what you want, then you can start figuring out what you need to change.

Look development is a really important part of pre-production!

I’m currently using 64x64 as it seems to look good enough and still maintain the style but how would I handle attack animations i.e when to play it, and how would I handle the main character damage as I plan to have the enemies deal damage on contact?

There are plenty of tutorials available, both on the Unreal site proper, and on YouTube and other areas. Googling for “unreal engine xxx tutorial” works pretty well for most kinds of xxx.

If you base it on 4k as a mainline resolution - just like with textures - you can always reduce with minor artifacts to any power of 2 value.
Until about 256 when it probably becomes unusable.

When making pixel art you have to set whatever dcc to Nearest when scaling though, as bilinear and, well just about any other interpolation will “blur” your pixels instead of keeping them as pixels.

You could even count every pixel as 4 pixels or 16 pixels in order to maintain the “blotchy” pixel style at higher resolutions. Depends on the end goal really.
Must it look like a pixel crock of ■■■■ at any resolution? Yes: have a “pixel” be more than a pixel.
No: Use all the pixels.

Like with the DCC programs you can set the unreal mip system to use the proper filtering by modifying the texture settings.
This could be important too.

Going with mainstream art examples
You can consider GGX 3 as a double resolution pixel art work.
And SF3 as a regular resolution pixel art.

That said. Unreal isn’t the engine to make a pixel art game. Use something better.
Godot for instance.

Pixel based engines that allow pixel edge detection by design will be a lot better over dealing with the ■■■■ you have to deal with in Unreal, where you can even sort the priority without moving stuff in 3d space.

Ps:
You can look it up but double res means you make something 2 times as big and let the engine scale it down to half its size with a filter at runtime, allowing for much more detail.
Particulalry because it won’t necessarily scale down on higher resolutions, offering the original artwork displayed based on the resolution used by the system.