Pivot Tool - A Pivot Editor

I just bought this tool, and I have a question.

I am working with F-22 Model (fighter jet). All of my object axes (pivot points) are actually exactly where they need to be on the plane’s various pieces - flaps, foils, canopy, etc in Cinema 4D. For reasons I don’t understand, FBX exports out of Cinema 4D always put the pivot point for every object at world 0,0,0. So, this plugin seems like just the thing to restore this plane to a proper animate-able state.

However, while repositioning the pivot point with this plugin is fast and intuitive, I see no manner by which I can adjust the orientation of the pivot point. If I want to rotate the flaps of the plane, I need an axis to be perpendicular to the actual geo. Is this something I can accomplish with this tool?

In other words, I need this:

But what I have right now after using your tool is this:

Definitely an improvement over being at world 0, but not quite there yet.

If your plugin can’t do this, I formally request the feature.

Bump… I really need some manner of answer please…

Um… hello?

Hey,
is there a way to center the pivot of all highlighted Actors-Objects at the same time?
I got too many actors to do it for each manually.

@Strangermode

You can achieve that with “Freeze Rotation”, here’a video to show the process:

[video]https://streamable.com/imcyg[/video]

The process would be:

1. Rotate the mesh to match desired local mesh pivot to world axis
  2. Check “Freeze Rotation”, then “Bake” to bake the changes back to static mesh
  3. Since the mesh pivot is changed, you might need to update rotations of actors referencing this mesh

https://i.imgur.com/tEouXY3.png

Hi MarlinAtRevis3d, to set pivot to center for all selected actors, just make sure “Auto Save” is checked, and “Group Mode” is NOT checked, then click the sphere highlighted in picture.

When “Group Mode” is checked, Pivot Tool will cheat all selected actors as one group and set pivot base on the group. When it’s off, Pivot Tool will set pivot for each actor individually.

Hey Nate, i think i found an bug in the plugin.

[SPOILER]

[/SPOILER]

If i instal your plugin, my tracers dont trace correctly. Once i change the pivot and baked and the other time i only “set” the new pivot, but the trace goes wierd.

Is there a way to restore the original pivot? Like reset or undo after the baking?
Thank you.

Hey Nate, I love the plugin, but I may have discovered a really nasty bug. I’m using UE 4.24.3 and the latest version of PivotTool on the marketplace. Here’s what’s happening:

I drag a basic primitive (cube, cone, cylinder, whatever) into the level. I set the pivot of each using the UI. I can usually bake one or two successfully, but more than that and they ALL change pivots to the same as the last one baked. What’s worse – and cost me an entire day to fix – is that it also changes the pivots of random objects*** inside blueprints*** that aren’t even selected!

For example, I was working from the Collaborative Viewer template. I brought in a couple of cubes and sphere, scaled them independently and changed the pivots of each after scaling. On the third object, after baking the pivot they all moved. I reset them, but when I went to play in editor, I noticed that elements inside my pawn blueprint and my *teleporter blueprint *ring had moved as well! When I went into the blueprints to fix the offset, I noticed that they both had the same pivot that was baked into the static mesh primitives. And any new geometry brought into the blueprints automatically adopted that pivot. O.O But wait, it gets worse! In my troubleshooting I created a NEW collaborative view project, opened it, and it’s Pawn’s laser & teleporter geometry was reset too! Without having applied the plugin at all! With that, I deduced that the plugin must have done something to the Engine.

Ultimately, with that suspicion AND since I couldn’t reset the pivots of the blueprint geometry and I couldn’t remove the plugin, I quit Unreal and uninstalled the build. After a reinstall without installing the plugin, I opened my project, ignoring the missing plugin warning. This time, without the plugin installed, all my pivots in my geometry were reset to the normal spots. Yikes!

Not sure what all that means, but unfortunately I don’t have time to do any more extensive testing. I’ll chalk this one up to lesson learned, but I figured you ought to know.

Good luck,
V1

Hello Nate, Have been using this Pivot plug-in forever and it is just the most amazing tool! Since I updated to 4.25 when changing the pivot on some meshes it changes the materials. The actual materials are the same slots but somehow inside the mesh the material are assigned different. Like the Roof may now be the floor.

Will be possible do the same for BPs? You can change the pivot in editor, but the pivot inside the BPs is the old one, so the “End” button and other aligns not works due they use the pivot inside the BPs not the one in the editor.