Pimax Dream Air SE vs VIVE Focus Vision for Unreal Engine 5.8 development?

Hi,

I’m a visual artist working with Unreal Engine 5.8 and I’m looking for a VR headset primarily for developing and experiencing my own UE5 environments.

My workstation has an RTX 5080, and visual quality is important to me — especially lighting, materials, dark environments, spatial installations and experimental VR artwork.

I’m currently considering two very different headsets:

Pimax Dream Air SE

  • Micro-OLED
  • Pancake lenses
  • DisplayPort PCVR
  • Eye tracking
  • SLAM inside-out tracking + controllers
  • Very lightweight

HTC VIVE Focus Vision

  • LCD + Fresnel lenses
  • DisplayPort PCVR
  • Eye tracking
  • Official VIVE/OpenXR developer ecosystem
  • Standalone capability
  • Business/Kiosk Mode, which could be useful for exhibitions

The Dream Air SE appeals to me much more in terms of display quality, optics and weight, but I can find surprisingly little information from people actually using it for Unreal Engine development.

My normal workflow would be:

UE5 Editor → VR Preview → test environment → headset off → edit → VR Preview again

I’m therefore particularly interested in reliability rather than gaming/simulator performance.

Has anyone here actually used Dream Air SE (or Dream Air) with Unreal Engine 5.7/5.8 and OpenXR?

I would especially like to know:

  • Does VR Preview work reliably?
  • Do the SLAM controllers work correctly through OpenXR?
  • Any problems with tracking or controller mappings?
  • Does eye tracking / dynamic foveated rendering work in UE?
  • Does Pimax Play/OpenXR add much troubleshooting to everyday development?
  • Can you repeatedly enter and exit VR Preview without restarting software?
  • Any issues with RTX 50-series GPUs?

And if anyone has used both Pimax and VIVE/Quest for UE development, would you consider the Pimax workflow significantly more troublesome?

I’m willing to accept a little additional setup for the Dream Air SE’s better Micro-OLED/pancake image quality, but I don’t want the headset/software to constantly interrupt the creative workflow.

The alternative is accepting the lower optical quality of the VIVE Focus Vision in exchange for a more established development/business ecosystem and useful exhibition features such as Kiosk Mode.

I’d be especially interested in hearing from developers/artists actually using UE5 VR Preview, rather than general gaming or flight-sim experience.

Thanks!

Best regards

René

Denmark