PBR Materials in UDK?

I believe that in theory there’s no real reason why UDK can’t produce physically based rendered materials.

I’ve done some searching, and have found various threads of people talking about how to achieve this (such as this one). I’m wondering if anyone (with greater knowledge of the UDK material system than I) can provide an example of the node structure for such a material.

Many open-source and paid-for assets provide the textures required to create the material (albedo, roughness, metalness, etc). I would just like a UDK template by which to work with to create convincing PBR materials in UDK.

Cheers

Yes it is possible, and users started like in 2013-2014 to try and crack the code but with ue4 coming out in that time, so few info exist.For instance, outlast 2 uses pbr(very realistic in the school levels) and also mortal combat 11 but we don’t have access to those modded editors sadly.There are 3-4 pbrish shaders out there and I have tried them all but found only one or 2 to be useful(not ue4 quality, but better than udk phong)

Also, i believe lightning plays a good role in order to represent those shaders, but in udk we dont have things like area lights.Only way to take advantage of them is by using dynamic lights and being very careful in order not to bring frame rate down as udk, i don’t believe it was prepared for fully dynamic lightning levels.

The best shader ive found and expanded from is from this thread.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/lega…m-working-with

Now this shader is meant for use with custom lightning slot and custom diffuse+ dynamic lights, and not with the phong that I am using it.I did it as it kind of forces it to use phong so that i can use some static lightning with dynamic one.(room full with static lights and one low intensity dynamic one in the middle in order to view the shader correctly>more or less)(but might chage the way to the original)
Chosker was very helpful and gave me info on how he used it(ups and downs) as he most probably used the same code for his Elium prison escape game so it is working.And is working with albedo,roughness and metalness textures like ue4, so that is useful.

I suspect a awesome hlsl shader can be created from this info below, but is way out of my league and no idea how to make that hlsl work with udk

https://github.com/Nadrin/PBR/tree/m…a/shaders/hlsl
https://github.com/Nadrin/PBR/blob/m…/hlsl/pbr.hlsl
https://blog.selfshadow.com/publicat…c_notes_v2.pdf

i was too late.don´t waste your time mate,but anyway…

your question is already to a great degree,found,answered and Solved!+your mate O and N created a PBS Material with a great learning effect about HLSL+video.
i also looked for it,and Gathered all in the web Available PBS shader Materials,it´s also provided in my UDK Asset Store post.

you guys should pay more Attention to the posts are made…

here is what i Suggest,

either,you Point something Else out and Tag it,or you remove it to avoid flooding…and helping to maintain a Overview,since here are no Mods arround.
you have all you need to know!

hope this makes Sense for you,bye.

Thanks for the info guys. I will checkout those links and examples.

Hmmm, yes my game actually relies purely on dynamic lighting (Save 20% on Subsistence on Steam). So I’ll have to test it out and see what kind of performance impact it has.

Given there are only a handful of us UDK devs posting on this subforum, I don’t think flooding the forum is much of a concern. In fact necroing threads (sometimes 10 years old) can make the forum more noisy, especially given that current learnings of modern techniques may differ wildly from approaches posted years ago.

less than10,the rest are hidden spectators or just savages who cant say thanks for usefull stuff.
and especially those little group should keep an eye.

[QUOTE]
I don’t think flooding the forum is much of a concern[/QMUOTE]
might be true but it´s not welcome at least not by me,but i´m not a Mod just a user of this sub section.

see it this way,this Section is like a Public Place of daily use,like a train or toilets.and you probably also,
put things away what does not belong there or keep the place to a certain degree clean,right?

so are you,we all responseable for our commnts as well for not flooding with copies and so on…
so let´s keep this workplace of ours clean and simple!

you could have placed your post in O and N´s post,when you have the need to be up to date.

but i can tell,that this tehnique of PBR/PBS or Raytracing is older than the UE3 itself.all you see now
is based on this equation…

Yes,you really should and spend some time with the research.

and shouldn´t you be satisfied,than you can and should open a thread
makes this sense?

i´m sorry Sir! but i still have to ask you.

either,you Point something Else out and Tag it,or you remove it to avoid flooding…and helping to maintain a Overview,since here are no Mods arround.
you have all you need to know!

Bye

Ohh i didn’t knew Subsistence, was fully dynamic.Will definitely play it to support :smiley: . Is it dx11 or you optimized the lights(or just deactivated their shadows and use the shadow from the main sky light)? If you manage to come out with nice pbr solution/tricks for it, please share dude!
Cheers

Here,another post of the Same topic…you was just lazzy.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/legacy-tools-unreal-engine-3-udk/udk-content-creation-and-design/1664112-converting-pbr-assets-to-udk

sure,go head Spam it with Useless stuff…it Seems some are Immune to good advises.

who got helped with this?probably only the post account which got 1 count more…
it´s worth to be uploaded in youtube… :rolleyes:so people get a idea why forums like this are dying.

than,we should all do the same and post copies and stuff,let´s see to what it might lead…

bye

I dont see anything wrong on asking here on the forums, even if there are similar threads here. But, as it was said, things changed drastically in the last years, and maybe an old post won’t be that usefull today.

if you feel that it is very uncomfortable to answer a question posted here on the forum, just don’t waste your time answering. B****ut now criticizing people for asking questions here and calling them lazy I don’t think it’s a nice thing.

And this forum is not dead, it is just because people moved for UE4, but there are still some folks here who are developing games with UDK (I am).

As it seems you know about good advises, so I will give you one: It does not cost money being kind and nice with other people.

Agree.Ive been meaning to tell it, but Archon, you really need to calm down.I get that you are kind of energetic but,you came quite recently to the forums, but have been acting a little ‘‘cocky’’ .Just relax and go with the flow.You see a thread and know the answer> than go and help.You see a repeated thread> point to a link with the thread if the user didn’t saw it and done.No need for unneeded words that lead to talks like this one.

Sure,let´s make this Thread to a Place of our Little warfare,since it´s called Unreal.

So,what´s this about?!

is Now every one of you,showing here up in order throw little Pebbles at me?,lol.

First of All.

Some Good Standards!

Unless you screw it with me,and the 3 points turns against you.
action leads to reaction…

so i wrote,since we´re sharing here a small space…

and this was my 2nd Try,so he understands better…
but Nope.

They Insist to Keep it that way,since they are Lifelong Members and this sub section has became now their Domain,regardless that some other people might also join this section…

i wrote also:

Quiet easy to Understand,Right?
People would never have such hard times with me…

i Rather would say,“Yeah you´re right,your Point is Legit.i´m going to Remove it”
it´s always hard for the Ego to admit Failures.

when people can´t behave here,than they probably can´t behave in Real Life either.

Incompetence btw,quiet the opposite of the Ground Rules what often leads to incompetent work.

It´s not my concern and yet it is,when you guys can´t handle Progress or another and more efficient based Workflow what i btw,Tried to achieve with you folks…

To Nidal.

Really?!
and People wonder,why it´s called spamming,flooding or even lazzyness…
the poor Guy who invented the Search Engine is here totally underrated,imo.

as i mentioned:

but u don´t,instead…

i wrote this before you showed up.

but Hey!
this Month old Post,was maybe too old.

What do you mean by NOW?,like there was no Previous story…

a Bad try of yours and a bad Choice to twist the Truth,Mr.Nijm.

it Reminds me at this,seems you guys have a common sense…

By O and N

i wrote in returnn this:

it will be Taken as it was Given…

i am,but this choice is not available anymore for certain people.

To Neongho.

Hello!!

LOOK AT THIS,he Finally managed to speak and reply Properly!

He got always this Glitches when i contacted him over massenger,so his answers remained useless…

Done That.

Mr. Neongho,it seems you have some unfinished business with this:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/lega…-fracture-tool

and this:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/lega…raphics-in-udk

What Purpose Does it Serve?

Looks arround,is there more of you?

Archoneater