Patchwork Feedback & Discussion

Have any questions, thoughts, or feedback on Patchwork and the newest devices?

Feel free to respond below! We’d love to hear more and address any questions you have!

For more info on Patchwork:

Ill start off by saying how excited I am to be using these and they feel good to use.

First major thing ive noticed is the way BPM works. Id prefer to route BPM via the signal path so I can have distinct BPMs in one experience without juggling music managers. Maybe “Beat groups” or “Song groups” could handle this. Set music manager to group 1, group 1 is 160 BPM a#m, group 2 120 BPM Gmaj for example.

Next thing is that the Omega synth has no detune so I cannot achieve a reece effect among other awesome things. Its strange to me that there is detune on the Instrument player but not the Omega generator.

2 Likes

Will there be more instruments covered by the Instrument Player device in the near future?

I’m a big fan of creating music in Fortnite’s patchwork, and I have a couple of suggestions for enhancing the experience:

1. I realy need more effects like a Filter and Reverb.
  2. Additionally, it would be great to have the option for many devices to have multiple inputs and outputs. For example, allowing the LFO to have multiple outputs or the speakers/O-synth to have multiple inputs would significantly expand creative possibilities.
2 Likes

Glad to hear you are enjoying Patchwork! Those are both good ideas that we will certainly keep in mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For devices like the Note Sequencer, for example, will we eventually be able to add more pages to each sequence?

I would be very interested in time signatures and more sounds for instruments!

Just created my own map using patchwork and gotta say you nailed the “music game” feeling of it. took me back to my rock band days.

A sample player would really open up a whole world of possibilities, from new drum kits to sample-based instruments. It could be like the standard 4x4 grid drum kit found in most DAWs but could even start by using the existing drum kit device and a smaller number of samples.

I would love to see some bar/beat triggers from the Music Manager, Note sequencers, or step modulators that would create events for other Creative Devices like Level Sequences.

The Club Patchwork Example allows you to “Control the speed of the Cubes” with the Step Rate of a Note Sequencer. How is that done?

Edit: It looks like the Note Trigger Device was used in Club Patchwork for this. It has an Event- “When note Received”. I successfully used this to play a sample with the Audio Player device but the timing lag was all over the place.

Hello!

That is a good question. You are correct that in Club Patchwork we used:

Note Sequencer → Note Triggers to send events on certain notes. That allows the Step Rate to change the frequency of those events.

Those events will currently work best with Customizable Lights, Prop Movers, Prop Manipulators and a variety of other devices. Currently it is true that there will be lag when sending events to the Audio Player. But stay tuned as this should get much better in the future. Thanks for experimenting!

1 Like

Yes! More instruments incoming. What instruments would be helpful for you?

Also try setting the “Restart Audio when Activated” option on the Audio Player to true. That will allow the sample to interrupt itself. This could help in cases where the sample is extending over the next trigger event

1 Like

Specific string selection instead of just strings - cello, violin, guitar, harp, etc.

Specific horns - Trumpet, saxophone, tuba, etc.

Other instruments - Accordion, maracas, bells, triangle, etc.

1 Like

Any guesses on the timeframe you can share? Weeks, Months? I’m working on a project that could really benefit from more audio options :slight_smile:

Unfortunately we can’t comment on the timing of updates. But we are working on hard on lots of goodies to continuously upgrade the Patchwork system. We want more power too!

Good luck on your project.

hey there, not sure if this is in the right place but I can’t find anywhere else to ask! Is it possible to use Patchwork within UEFN without having to use Fortnite characters which looks super tedious :grimacing:. I’m not a gamer but I am a 3d buff and music creator (I’m used to Logic) I’m having a blast in UEFN and would really like to take advantage of these awesome tools to introduce music into the experience. Tia, Steve

Good luck on your search.

I am trying to use a Control Bus and a Control Bus Mix to control all of our Patchwork Speakers. I found the CB_FortPatchwork_Volume control bus but it doesn’t seem to work for me in the same way I’ve been able to control other Fortnite CB like footsteps… Does anyone have any tips?