Parallelcube's Misc. Tutorials (Material effects, Dynamic textures, Outline effect, Audio analysis.)

Hello Guys

In the past few months I have been doing some tutorials while I continued with the development of one of the games i’m working on.
These are very basic tutorials but may be helpful for ue4 beginners
At this moment these are focused towards 2D games but can be useful for some aspects of the 3d games too. I also wanted to contribute with the Hispanic community, and for this all the material is translated into Spanish too.

This is a list with what I have at this moment:

October 2021

August 2021

May 2021

April 2021

March 2021

October 2020

August 2020

July 2020

September 2019

December 2018

March 2018

January 2018

December 2017

November 2017

October 2017

September 2017

To access to the Spanish version you only need to switch the language using the flag button es.png

Have a nice day!

Hello guys.
The first tutorial of november is published:

Parallax Scrolling using UE4 Materials

In this tutorial we have created a Parallax Scrolling background using UV mapping displacement instead of moving the object images over the screen. It is very easy! :).

Have a nice day!

There is other tutorial

Part 1: Server files
Part 2: Client files
Part 3: UE4 game integration

A leaderboard is a must have in any actual online game, with this tutorial we will learn how to create and setup a leaderboard system, in the first two parts we talk about the server and client parts, in a engine-independent way, and the last one is focused on how to integrate it in Unreal engine 4.

Have a good week!

What is used to create a video to play on a website as you scroll? Similar to what’s found one there two sites:

http://www./

http://www/

Thank you! I respond quickly!

Sry but I’m not a web programmer. If I have understood correctly, you need to search How to create a Parallax scrolling Website, that is not video.

Hello!

Part 1: Outline effect
Part 2: Adding more effects

This week I have added a tutorial explaining how to add an outline effect to an object, and how to apply more effect to this outline, like a pulsating glow and the occlusion treatment.

Have a good week!

Hi!

This week I have added an audio tutorial about how to add a volume control to our game.

How to add volume controls

In this short tutorial we are going to add a volume dialog to set the volume of the music and the SFX effects independently

Have a good week!

In the volume sliders tutorial what exactly is Game BP you are using as a target? That is basically the only thing I wasn’t able to gather when reading that.

Is an actor that represents the controller of the game logic.

2018-01-03 21_31_44-Tutorial - Unreal Editor.png

This actor spawns the widget (UI) and it is passed in its initialization.

This actor is the owner of the game variables too. Passing the reference to the widget its the easiest way to interact with the game variables.

A better way to do this is to use the Level Blueprint to spawn the widget and store the game variables, instead of using this Actor, but I dont know how to pass a reference of the level blueprint to the widget to be able to interact with the variables then.

Hey!

This week I have a new tutorial about dynamic textures with a practical example, a drawing canvas.

Dynamic Textures Introduction: Drawing canvas We have seen how to modify dynamically and apply effects on textures in previous tutorials, but sometimes we need to create this texture dynamically too. One nice sample of this is a drawing canvas.

Have a good week!

Hi!

This is a little annex to the previous drawing canvas tutorial.

canvasDecals.gif
Dynamic Textures: Decals](Dynamic Textures: Decals – Parallelcube)

With this tutorial we are going to add a tool to our previous drawing canvas to print decals. It’s a good example to explain how to load images and extract their pixel information using C++ code.
canvasDecals.gif

Have a good week!

This March I have been focused on learning audio analysis. It has been a good opportunity to learn how to add thirdparty libraries to the UE4 project. Although the first parts of this tutorial series show how to add the FMOD library to the project, the same steps can be used to load other libraries. The rest of the series shows how to use some function of the FMOD library to make a spectrum visualizer with a beat tracking component.

Part 1: Setting up project paths
Part 2: Using the library
Part 3: Frequency spectrum
Part 4: UE4 spectrum visualizer
Part 5: Beat tracking algorithm
Part 6: UE4 beat visualizer

Each subsection can be split in two, the first one is related to the algorithm part of each component (Frequency Spectrum / Beat Tracking) and the second one has the blueprint integration.

Have a good week!

Dynamic Post Process Volume

With this tutorial we are going to learn how to apply Post process Effects to the scene. We are going to modify one of the materials used in a previous tutorial Transition effects using materials to be able to use it with a post process volume and view the effect in all the scene.

Outline effect (Part 3,4)
We have received several requests for the outline effect tutorials and we have decided to open a new tutorial talking about two of this requests: Opaque zones and distance effect…
Part 1: Outline effect
Part 2: Occlusion, colors and glow
Part 3: Opaque zones
Part 4: Depth limit

Remote iOS build without developer license
A brief tutorial explaining how to configure and set-up a remote iOS build process on Unreal Engine 4 (v4.22+) for testing purposes, without spend money and time on a iOS developer license.

Creating mobile provision files](Remote iOS build using UE4 – Parallelcube)
Remote iOS project set-up

i would like to know how to get this material changing blueprint. its really cool

&d=1569231019

&d=1569231041

here is youtube video - https://youtu.be/aB2rbSWAQhs

You can use Set Material node to change the material of an object at runtime.

actually if u see youtube link i provided. when player get in boxtrigger range, sphere appears and with mouse left click material get swapped. and which material is applied, that sphere get postprocess outliner on it.

ahmm, the sphere control…

Make an sphere and put the material that you want. Then you need to setup the postprocess volume using the outline material. You have that outline material at the end of the tutorial.

To see the outline in an sphere you need to use Set Render Custom Depth node with that object sphere to enable the Custom Depth at runtime. The custom Stencil value determines the type of outline material, in the first tutorial we have only one type, but in the second we use this value to select the color of the outline.

custom_depth_nodes1.png

You have a basic Sample project here: GitHub - Parallelcube/UE4_T-Outline: UE4 Tutorial Color outline effect

thanks . i’ll go through by your advice. :slight_smile: