Paper2D and TSR: Solving smudging/ghosting (Tutorial)

Hey guys,

I’m working on a 2D game with sprite assets, using Paper2D. We have high-quality hand-drawn sprite art, and the only way to make them look really crisp in stellar in Unreal 5 seems to be to use TSR. I’ve tried all texture filtering options and all other AA methods, but TSR seems to produce the best results, with crisp and clear art.

One problem with TSR which I could not solve was ghosting/smudging on the player character. In our game, player’s sprite is always on the center of the screen, and whenever I moved in the game world - you could observe a lot of visual artifacts around the sprite’s edges, only present in TSR (and some in TAA). Sadly I can’t show the internal art, but you can set this up yourself easily for experimentation.

Solution: Enable output velocity in the sprite’s material. That’s it!

I’ve read somewhere about TSR using motion vectors, and intuitively went for this option while playing with different material parameters. Again, sorry for kinda short post, I’d love to show you before/after pics, but I only got internal art to work with, at this moment. I’m hoping this post will help someone else who struggles with this, cause I didn’t find any posts about this on the forum.

3 Likes