Paper 2D - Platformer Game Template

Cool, will definitely take a look at this. :smiley:

That’s great, there should be plenty to keep you busy for a while, let me know how it goes.

Counters are not showing

Hey, im kinda stuck on one of the parts of the Tutorial - #19 Paper2D Ring PickUp & HUD. Instead of using rings i used health vials and called everything helath vile this and that instead of rings. i followed the tutorial very closely but at the end when i play and pick up a health vile it doesnt count it and my numbers have gone. it doesn’t even show the number 0 at all. Any help would be great. thanks :slight_smile:

Hey so the first thing I’d suggest if you haven’t already is debug through what is happening when you pick things up to make sure that the functions are being called and the values are being updated. In case you’re not familiar with debugging, this video is fairly useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-e3-HAwyE

If everything that way checks out, I’ve seen something similar to this when I’ve looked at someone else’s project. If it is just the HUD which is not working/updating, there seems to be a glitch in the system where the HUD functions just don’t get added to the call stack and therefor never get fired to do their checks. If that’s the case, the only way I was able to fix it was to delete the HUD system and recreate it in a new widget. I don’t know for sure if it makes a difference, but I also try to approach creating any HUD system in the same order I do in my videos, create canvas, fill with all visual content, prepare functions etc… It may just be luck but I’ve never had the described issue in any of my projects whilst following this structure.

Also the reason I mention to debug through the other functions in the GameMode and PickUp classes first is because that will definitely pinpoint whether or not it’s the HUD glitch I mention. The other way is to stick breakpoints on the first nodes in the HUD blueprints functions, again if these don’t make the game pause then you know your HUD is just not firing.

Hope that helps.

Really cool stuff! I’m going to watch all your tuts, really good work, thanks!

Great to hear, keep us updated with your work. Hope you enjoy the tuts.

thank you very much for the help. i looked into the debugging video and learnt alot from it but i ended up doing as you said and redoing the entire HUD widget BP from scratch and it all worked. alot fo multiple naming though for my Small, medium and large health vials but once you get a hang of the Inheritance it takes alot of work off your shoulders. thanks for the tutorial and i will be definitely coming back for more updates

No worries. Good that it’s fixed and you got to practice some debugging to which is always useful.

#23 & #24 both uploaded now.

&&

#25 now live.

#26 - Adding a Follow Camera

i love all your tutorials, learned so much about paper2d :smiley:
keep up the good work…

Thanks, that’s always great to hear.

#27 Updating things to 4.13 jump system

These are really well done. The Epic tutorials are alright but these seem a bit more practical and addresses several questions the official tutorials left me to learn on my own. Thank you for your effort and the work put into this.

Thank you, I guess the Epic tutorial need to cover a much greater range of information, whereas I can focus on one section at a time. Thanks for the feedback though, it’s always great t hear people are linking the videos.

I seem to have forgotten to post an update for #28. So…

I also just wanted to give a quick update. I’ve not abandoned this series.

However I’ve recently started a new job and am a little more strapped for time than I was before.
So to keep my channel uploads a little more frequent I’ve started to upload videos based around what I’m doing during the day which at the moment just so happens to be mobile VR.

Have a great day.

Hey ,

I have been following everything you have done so far and finally, I had some time for this series. Had to commend you for this. I’m halfway through after starting today.

P.S- Congratulations on the new job!

Hey ,

Sorry for the really delayed reply, I didn’t seem to get a notification of any new posts.

Thanks for the support and hope you’ve found this one useful.

Thanks, nice and settled in now :slight_smile: