Painting Foliage not working on Landscape!

Hi, I’m painting some foliage on my Landscape using the filter “Landscape” and it worked perfectly so far.
Suddenly it’s not working anymore, I can’t no longer see the brush but only a crosshair (+),
If I turn on the Static mesh filter it works but nothing happens when I set only Landscape. What have I done?
Thanks,
:confused:

Check your painting mode. It seems like you are in the “select” mode.
Is it the same when you open a new level + paint there :slight_smile:

No, I’m sure I’m in the paint mode, I’ve tried switching between select, lasso, fill and all the other voices but I’m still stucked! Any sugegstion? :slight_smile:

Hmm, could you post a video? :slight_smile:

-make sure that you have selected a type of foilage
-set the density to something really high and try it again
-which engine version do you use?
-enable all filters

Ok, here’s the screencast:
-10 selected foliage types
-densiy 1

v=khZu_2ZLJIE

Do you probably have a large mesh under your terrain? (e.g a water plane?) :slight_smile:

yes, I do, is that the problem?:confused:

Sculpt and texture painting works, correctly, only foliage doesn’t work, how is it possible?

Yep, that could cause the problem -> because the foilage tool recognizes the landscape + the mesh and it will try to paint on one of them. Just delete it and try it again

I found that if I go very very near to the surface of the landscape it works, just like if I have something just above my landscape blocking the brush, does it have some sense? :slight_smile: Should I rearange my layers in the world outliner maybe and set the landscape on top?

SOLVED: I have some planes on my landscape and they blocked the brush from reaching the terrain!!! That planes were hided so I had no idea that they could be a problem. Maybe if I disable collision I can keep both of them! Thanks very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I just need to disable collision and it’s working again!!!

1 Like

I saved each foliage as a foliage type with the little blue save icon by each static mesh listed in the foliage instance list and it solved my problem! :slight_smile:

In case anyone is still having this problem, the solution for me was to change my landscape’s object type back to world static. I had is as a custom object type for other reasons, and it seems the foliage tool does some sort of trace for world static (and possibly others) objects when looking for what it can paint on.

2 Likes

I had that issue too, the way i solve it was turning the Landscape collision to “Query and Physics”, after that i was able to add Foliage in the Landscape :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hai sir I want help in ue4. Can you please give me your what’s app number.

Thank you!!!1 That helped me too !

POSSIBLE FIX: I had the same problem, for some reason, probably my own fault, I turned of collision for the Landscape, switch that back to Black All if you have as well, and everything should be fine.

1 Like

Use landscape Collision Presets: custom…
Collision Enabled (Query and Physics) _->

1 Like

had same issue in UE5 foliage would not paint so unload load landscape again and it worked for me