Packaging for iOS but massive IPA size

I’ve packaged games for iOS before (check ‎Neurocuber on the App Store) and got a reasonable ipa size (<150Mb). Now I’ve built a extremely simple game app, this time C++ rather than blueprint, but the ipa size is coming as 550Mb! There is minimum content and I’ve already disabled virtually all engine plugins. It’s configured to exclude editor content, only cooks one map (and there is only one map anyways), and set to compress cooked packages.

Please note the dimension here - 550Mb is not your usual slightly mis-optimised app or the large texture left in the content folder. There is something really wrong here and I can’t find the cause.

I followed someone’s advice to rename the IPA as ZIP to see what is inside, but it was pointless - within the file there is a single file that has like 99% of the 550Mb, has no extension and the name is just the name of the project. I tried repackaging without creating a pak file to see if I could take a pick on what is there but the result was the same.

This is beyond frustrating. Has anyone had this problem before and/or has any idea on how to solve it?

1 Like

Hey guys, great news - it turns out that although the IPA is gigantic, the actual size on the app store is much, much lower. Like 74Mb. I didn’t even think that size was possible in UE4. Anyway, happy days and enjoy the snow (but keep safe).