Packaging didn't worked correctly

Hey guys,

I tried to package my project. Console output said ‘Build successful’, but after I opened up the folder I noticed that I don’t have a ‘Saved’ folder and I couldn’t start my game. I created a blank project to check if it would happen again but it worked fine and all folders were created (game also launched without any problems). Now I don’t know what’s my mistake. I didn’t changed the package settings. Also noticed that he said ‘Build successful’ after ~3-5 min, but I though it would take a bit longer something between 10-15 min because I have a lot of custom content in it.

I hope that someone of you guys could help me with my problem.

Hey Sentinel,

Which version of the Editor are you using? The most recent version is 4.7.2. Please make sure you’re updated to the newest version of the engine when trying to package, just in case you’re being blocked by a bug that has been recently corrected in an update with the Editor.

Besides that, could you please tell me the exact steps you took to package your project? Please be as detailed as possible, so that I can assist you as quick as I am able to.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Ok, I using 4.7.1 at the moment. Gonna update now and try it again. If I still have the same problem I gonna push my message in again. Thx for that quick reply. :slight_smile:

After you’ve updated, if you’re still having the same issue, please provide your output . You can locate the within the Editor from going to: Windows > Developer Tools > Output

Thank you!

Hey , I updated to 4.7.2 but still don’t get a ‘Saved’ folder after I packaged it and my game also won’t start.
I attached a .txt file I created. Pasted the Output log of the Editor in it.
Hope that there is a solution for my problem and thx again for your answer.
[link text][1]

33717-.txt (1.45 MB)

Hey ,

I’m using C++ and I want to package my project to give it some people to test it (maps, gameplay, respawn system etc.).In this package would be the player character, some weapon assets I wrote via c++ and bp, respawns, gamemodes, a map, bunch of assets used in this map including textures and materials. I tried to package it from the editor under File/Package Project/Windows/Windows (64-bit).

I followed your guide on this page: Packaging Unreal Engine Projects | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hey Sentinel,

What are the exact steps you are taking to package your project? Please be as detailed as possible so I can follow the exact steps and reproduce this in-house.

I need to also know what you are packaging for and if you’re using a blueprint or a C++ project.

Are you using the packaging capabilities within the Editor or are you using UnrealFrontend?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hey ,

I located that folder. Before the build starts it asks me where to save it and I saved it in a new folder on my desktop. After the build was successful I went to the folder. In this folder is a new folder called ‘WindowsNoEditor’. In it are following folders: Engine, [MyProjectName] and two files: [MyProjectName].exe and Manifest_NonUFSFiles. In Engine folder are: Binaries, Build, Extras. In [MyProjectName] folder are: Binaries and Content, but no Saved. If I try to run the [MyProjectName].exe it starts it in the background and close it immediately (checked it with the help of task manager). I tried to build it several times but still got this problem.

Hey Sentinel,

When you go to File > Package Project > Windows > Win64; where do you save the file to? That’s where your packaged project will go. It’ll be in a ‘WindowsNoEditor’ folder and a .exe will be inside. Have you been able to successfully locate that folder?

Hey Sentinel,

So you can locate your project.exe but it crashes on launch? Once it crashes, are there any placed in the saved folder? If not, please follow this link and obtain your for us, so we can investigate this issue further for you.

Thank you!

Hey ,

After the build completed it didn’t created a Saved folder. But I followed the link you gave me and found this file. Hope it’s gonna be useful. Was really confused that my packaged project doesn’t have a Saved folder.

Greetings Sentinel

[link text][1]

33854-cook.txt (631 KB)

The Saved folder is in your ORIGINAL project. The one you package to has the directories all put back to normal. What exactly happens when you run the game in the packaged directory?

Hey Josh,

If I run the game nothing happens. I opened up task manager to see what exactly happens and I noticed that the game runs for about a second in the background and than it’s closed again.

Some recent information on this:

Sentinel has a lot of “Externally Referenced” Warnings. Together with the warning:

This map is using externally referenced packages which won’t be found when in a game and all references will be broken. Perform a map check for more details.

Would you like to continue?

It will break the game if he packages it. This is why his folder is so small and the game breaks on launch.

I guess he just needs to fix these errors.

Managed to fix these errors. They seem to occur when updating your Project to 4.7. The cached Data is the problem if the answers in other related questions are true.

Renaming the folder and restarting the editor seems to fix the errors. Let’s wait if the package works now.

Packaging said ‘Build successful’ but still can’t run the executable :confused:

Please add your latest logfile to your comment/question. So that the Staff guys can find the part that i’m missing.

All in all there are no errors in the log, only thousands of warnings about not found assets and “no version” assets that should be resaved.

Hey guys,

I’ve tried to build my project after 4.7.3 update and console says “Build successful” like always, but my game won’t launch. So I went to my “” folder in my project and found those two but I don’t know what’s the matter why it won’t start my game. I really hope that someone has an answer for my problem because it’s frustrating right now not to build my game and test it with other people :confused:

[link text][1]

I’ve uploaded it to my OneDrive because I couldn’t upload the log file here (don’t no why it only said “No such upload”).

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Hey Sentinel,

I have sent another request to our developers to review your . Hopefully I’ll receive word back soon. I just wanted to let you know that we haven’t lost your post, and we are working on it. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Two things to try:

1 - We still don’t have a runtime log, so it’s basically impossible to tell what is happening. Go to a cmd prompt, cd to the packaged project’s Binaries\Win64 directory, and run the .exe with -log. Maybe that will tell us something useful.

2 - Try packaging for Win32, not Win64, and see if the results are any different.

Josh