Override max texture size for cubemaps?

Is there a way to override the max in-game resolution for cubemaps? Maybe some ini file? If it’s hardcoded in the engine, where can I find the setting so I can change it and recompile?
I’m doing product presentations, and 512x512 resolution doesn’t look that good with very reflective flat surfaces.

1 Like

Does changing the LOD group have no effect on it?

Unfortunately it doesn’t have an effect on the max resolution. You can improve the general quality by choosing a LOD group with no mipmaps, or manually set it to not use mipmaps, but the max resolution is still the same.
I’d like to be able to set it to 2048x2048 or something in that area, to get really really sharp reflections.

In udk there was an ini file in the main install directory I believe that handled lods and maximum resolutions. I can’t recall the name, but it was a folder in the directory that had quite a few. You can give that a try and see if you can find it in one of those. However if choosing an lod group that has a higher maximum resolution doesn’t fix it, it may be something specific to cube maps.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check my ini files a bit more. With regards to cubemaps though, 512x512 is a built-in limitation, and what I’m wondering is where in the code (or hopefully an ini file) I can change this.

If that is the case it may be more difficult to find. Try asking this on answerhub, with luck a UE4 dev will be able to help point you in the right direction.