Out of Video Memory - GTX Titan X

Hey Guys,

I am trying to export a camera animation (movie) from UE4.8. I keep getting the error “Ran out of video memory trying to allocate a texture. (…) Try lowering the resolution or close other programs.” I just wonder how it can be since I have 12GB of Video RAM… I hope you guys have some solution because its a really pity since I am working for almost 2 months on this project and now I am not able to export it…

System Spec:
i7 5960X @ 4.00GHz
64GB RAM
GTX Titan X 12GB
1TB SSD
Win 8.1

Regards

Hello XrX94,

I have a couple of questions in order to get more information on this project.

1.) What is the file size you are trying to export. By design exporting an incredibly huge file to one card, no matter how powerful, is going to be taxing if not impossible.
2.) Can you export individual frames instead of the movie .avi files. If this is the case, your best bet may be to export the image and compile that in a movie editing software.

There is definitely no reason why you should be running out of memory, however, depending on the answers to these questions there may be something that is happening with matinee.

Thank you,

Thank you for replying.

1. What do you exactly mean by “file size”? The project is quite big - I migrated the Kite Demo and a few other assets into my project. It has like 80k of grass patches and like 300 trees. The area is about 20.000m².
  2. I can export single frames. I did this also but then I encountered a problem: The trees and grass are wind affected so when saving single frames, the following frame has another grass / tree leaves position than the frame before. Turning off Realtime does not work the way I want (Very bad quality…)

Furthermore, my map is bugged (Objects disappear when standing in some positions of the map)

Here some quick shots of the project how it was (I dont have any other screenshots at the moment, but the project didnt change a lot)

And: The Unreal project itself (C..\Documents\Unreal Projects[Project Name]) is around 70GB …
I tried to record the screen while matinee is running but I dont get 30fps and its not the quality I want actually… Its a real pity…

Hope you have enough information, I think though that there is a problem with the matinee. I am able to resolve the out of video memory by deleting half of the grass, but when I want to export my movie on the proper way (Play Matinee at level load), the New Window plays a very old camera, that doesnt exist anymore in this map, and its not saving the images… So I am desperated very. Is there a workaround to this?
Thank you in advance.

Hello,

So I have a troubleshoot as well as a workaround.

1.) Go to your world outliner and make sure that the camera has been deleted from there.
2.) Add a new camera to where you want it to record.
3.) With that camera selected go to your matinee window.
4.) If you still have the track you created with the old camera you can right click on that camera group and go to actors. That will have another small window that pops up and you can add selected actor to that group. That camera will then follow the old groups key frames.
5.) If this does not work or if this is not what you need what you can try is to go into your projects directory while you have your project open. You may still have your camera as a .uasset inside of your directory. Delete it and save all in your project.

Let me know if this helps,

Hello XrX94,

I haven’t heard from you yet. I was wondering if you were still having this issue? Also did any of the above mentioned troubleshoots/workarounds do the trick?

Thank you,

Hey ,

Thanks for your comment. I didnt have time to do these steps. I will be able to make it tomorrow or on tuesday - I will post here again when I have done it.

Regards

Hello XrX94,

I was wondering if you had a chance to test this out?

Thanks,

I was having this issue on a GTX Titan as well. I updated my drivers to the drive version before the latest version and that seemed to fix it.

Hey JG,

If you go to your tab, that by default should be lit, and go down to an option that says Shader Complexity. In your scene you will see a color graded filter that shows what is causing the most amount of GPU/CPU usage. White is the most expensive while green is fairly light. Open your project and hit that option. If you have an extreme amount of foliage that is dynamic and dynamically lit, chances are that’s where most of your memory is being allocated.

Have a look at your scene while that is enabled and from there you can start to optimize. Even Titans can run out of memory using very intense scenes. For reference the kite demo was ran and rendered with two Titan X graphics cards and a render farm.

I had this same issue.

Maya would crash, Unreal would crash, and Photoshop would crash, especially if I tried to multi-task.

What I heard worked for other people:

Match your virtual memory with your physical memory just to give yourself some buffer room. (probably more for placebo comfort than the real reason I was getting the error)

But the real reason and fix that worked for me:

Remove any unnecessary screens and 3rd-party software managing screens. I had a VR headset plugged in that was the culprit for my issues, other people had screens that needed software updates. My headset was plugged into my motherboard instead of my actual graphics card too which was tricking software into thinking the motherboard was the GPU of choice. Also make sure to update the drivers for the headset/screen.

I hope this helps anyone that runs into this same issue.

For those who still are in search, this is the solution;