Out of memory with foliage tool -origin of it?

Hey everyone ,

I know this error has been encountred by many but I was wondering when UE prompts this error ,is about the GPU (knowing that I’m building light with gpu lightmass) or the RAM ?

I have 64Gb of RAM and GTX 1060 6Gb
I’m trying to cover a small portion of terrain with grass ,using foliage tool, and I’m doing it as a sub-level to get small lightbuilds but I always have to decrease the amount of terrain I paint to get out of this error.

I wanted to understand ,where does it come from, so I know if I should upgrade my GPU ?

Thanks !

It’s a little hard to answer this because you haven’t given the error, but I’m assuming its:

Warning InstancedFoliageActor_0 The total lightmap size for this InstancedStaticMeshComponent is large, consider reducing the component’s lightmap resolution or number of mesh instances in this component

You will always get this error when building light with anything more than a few clumps of grass.

If you want to get rid of it, there’s two things you can do:

1. Use a stationary light, set the foliage params to not make static shadows and set ‘dynamic shadow distance stationary light’ to about 2000 ( it’s in the directional light details ).

2. Use the landscape grass tool.

Hey,

sorry for the late reply ! So I’ve been working on it and fianlly fixed it by swtiching from gpu lightmass to cpu ,this way I could use my 64Gb and never run out of memory with that ,no matter how large the surface was, compared to gpu lightmass which relies only on 6Gb of the graphic card, surely it’s faster but it’s very limited for grass as you could imagine

Thanks for all your advices and your reply !