Optimizing for Gear VR: What can I do?

So I think I’m starting to see some of the limitations with level creation regarding the Gear VR. I have a racing game prototype thrown together and want to start making some levels for it. However, according to the best practices guide, you need to keep your draw call count under 100 at all times. I’m finding this pretty impossible right now, especially when using the spline tool for the track and terrain for the ground. The game runs extremely slow and sluggish on the Gear VR right now unless I’m looking away from the more dense parts of the spline track. What are my options when it comes to optimization.

I experimented a bit with the road spline tool blueprint example on the gearvr as well and see the same limitation. Each ‘point’ on a spline equals 2 draw calls so it’s going to be very difficult depending on the view you want. If the view had high walls on each side of the track so you can’t see much then maybe it would work :smiley:

Due to the low number of draw calls available we really need instancing to work on gearvr devices. Last I checked on the Note 4 UE4 instancing does not work. Anyone know if it is supported on the S6 / Note 5 ? If it’s a unsupported hardware feature surely there is a clever software feature UE4 could implement to achieve the same result? Would really help us create better VR experiences if we did not have this limitation

CCP creators of Gunjack using UE4 mention here (22min mark): Oculus Connect 2: ‘Gunjack’: The Making of a Gear VR Game - YouTube they “dynamically batch small meshes to reduce draw calls” What exactly that means and how it is done I’m not sure yet - perhaps a S6 only feature as Note 4 is not supported by Gunjack?