Optimization - DeferredShadingSceneRenderer

Hello everyone!

I’ve been digging through the profiler trying to optimize our VR project and I’ve noticed a pretty significant hitch from time to time. There are times when the DeferredShadingSceneRenderer RenderFinish Event can take as long as 3.5ms and I’m having a hard time figuring out what that means.

For reference, our project is set to use Forward Shading with MSAA set to 4x, Screen Percentage is set to 140 though when I changed it during run time it didn’t seem to have any noticeable impact on performance. I also disabled Particles, Translucency, Fog, and Skeletal Meshes when recording the stats file. We have also created a device profile that uses recommended settings for VR projects. The machine that is running the game has the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3.5 GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
RAM: 8GB

If anyone knows why that DeferredShadingSceneRenderer RenderFinish is so high, or even where to look in the project to figure out why it’s so high I would greatly appreciate it. I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do next to fix it.

Any thoughts or ideas?

After consulting with a friend of mine who spoke with the tech artist on his team, it appears that this is the time it takes to finish rendering the scene during that frame. However, I still do not know where to look to figure out what could be causing it to take this long. In a more recent profile, the only part of the RenderThread that is taking up a significant amount of time is the InitViews function which is mostly a result of the number of particles being shown on screen during that frame. Does that mean that there are too many particles being displayed at one time or is there some other issue?

im having this issue to do you know what it could be?

Same here… Started when upgrading game from UE 4.18.3 to UE 4.24.1
Any help is most welcome as there is little to no info to be found on the topic.