OpenXR VR Template | Feedback and Discussion

@VictorLerp
5.0.2 issue ??

PIE VR Preview, then take off your headset (I’m using Quest2), then put HMD back on, the game will freeze and the editor will crash rather than continuing tracking, as it did prior to patch…

I noticed this in my own project and then did a build of the template to see if it also happens. It does.

Crash Log Summary:
Assertion failed: PipelineState.FrameState.predictedDisplayTime [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\OpenXR\Source\OpenXRHMD\Private\OpenXRHMD.cpp] [Line: 1950]
UnrealEditor_OpenXRHMD
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Nice.
I am trying to use my Quest2 for the first time with Unreal Engine, and I don’t even know where to start, searched for a couple hours now on how to PIE to no avail.
There’s a page on docs about v.4.26 that shows a button to run in VR, which is missing in 5.0, and I’m completely stuck.
Anyway, could you enlighten me on how to PIE VR?

I’m having a problem with the Valve Index controllers. Specifically it seems like the grab and release is inconsistent. Sometimes I grab, and the object will pick up, sometimes I release and the object will not drop. Sometimes I grab with the opposite hand and it will swap hands. It really seems like 10-50% success when I grab and release.

I read another thread there’s a bug with the index and OpenXR and Grip Axis but just making sure to have the Valve Index (L or R) Grip Axis in the GrabAxis(Left and Right) will solve it. This is also in the Action mappings, so not sure why it’s so inconsistent. My controllers work fine in other games.

I also tried adjusting the controller bindings and reducing the grip response ( not sure on that term ) and I didn’t get a change cutting it in half.

Anyone else have Index Knuckles and get odd grab behavior?

A similar PIE option to UE4 should appear in the same location if a VR plugin has successfully been loaded. If you are using the UE5 VR Template with the default plugins, this likely means the OpenXR plugin has not loaded properly.

The first thing to check is that you have an OpenXR runtime installed. Make sure that the Oculus PC software setup properly, and that other OpenXR applications work.

@VictorLerp By chance, do you plan to add climbing (and pulling player when standing/sitting) functionality to the Template in the nearest future ?
Zero-G movement would cool addition too :wink:

This is not a regression, it’s a known bug. We have a fix but it’s unlikely that we can apply it in a hotfix. I will communicate the CL when it’s on Main, however.

1 Like

Yes, and remove the Valve Index Grip Axis keys from the GrabLeft/GrabRight action mappings. You’ll also have to reconfigure the logic to use the GrabAxis Input Events instead of the GrabLeft/Right.

The only feature that’s in the pipeline is to add hands to the template, but I have no timeline to share as to when that’ll ship.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s known… this crash is a bummer late at night when I forget to press Esc before removing my headset.

Ahhh! Perfect, removing it from action mappings, makes sense, maybe I didn’t read the last post correctly.

I’m still not getting any info from the grip axis mapping, or input action, maybe I’m still missing something? Watching the float from the grip inputAxis It’s 0.0 while playing and squeezing the grip.

Thanks!
@VictorLerp

Are you planning on incorporating the OpenXR finger tracking support into this?

If so, do you accept pull requests for features relating to it? I’ve implemented anim graph nodes for setting the bone poses, and support for the hand joint motion range extension. I would just need to port it to UE5.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1479818809649287173/

1 Like

Any chance the template final destination will be fully physical body and hands that will allow users to build on it super easily without having to touch anything?
Something like ALS, but for VR.

Hello. I’m using 5.0 vr template with htc vive. I think something wrong with haptics. It’s getting stuck vibrating different freq and amps every time when i grab “Grabable object” and “rifle”. I can’t control it. I enabled steam VR plugin over Openxr and tried steamVR haptic nodes, it worked. But i lost all teleportation functionality now. so is openxr plugin bugged or its template?

I use just open xr with no steam or oculous working with a rift.

I like the template
but I wish they would supercharge it with some more locomotion types
The things that are in VR expansion plugin should be in the template and it should have several different maps showcasing different locomotion modes and things like zero g
it should be much more comprehensive
people are reinventing the same wheel everywhere

Sadly, that’s all we will be getting someday … if we are lucky :frowning:

The template is not meant to be a sample project, but rather a barebones, not-bloated project that’s easy to expand upon. The Content Examples Sample project exists for different examples, and we’d like to have a VR section that contains locomotion examples, etc. But the template will continue to be limited in scope.

6 Likes

@VictorLerp
This commit makes zero sense. This option is essential for mobile VR, why disable it and even remove it from Project Settings !?
Does Epic of these days really really hate mobile VR ?!

2 Likes

@VictorLerp - hey Victor, do you know anything about why packaging the VR template (5.03) on a machine that does not have Visual Studio installed fails? - seems to be an issue with projects that contain plugins - is there a neater workaround than installing VS? (can configure pcs with Visual studio on them just fine)

Hi Victor. Is this gonna be somehow finally added or improved for 5.1?
Thanks!

5.1 is already feature complete, and the updated version includes Enhanced Input support and hand models. Improved VR User Interfaces is still something we’d like to do, but we currently don’t have a timeline for it.

1 Like