Open World, Lighting and Day/Night system problems with recapturing

Ok so I’m trying to make an open-worldish game. It’s the usual island, and I have also implemented a car, clock and of course the dreadful Day/Night system. But after trying things for quite some time, I would like to share some questions for anyone who might know something more than me.

The basic question is, can UE4 handle open world? And by that I don’t mean huge GTA-style worlds nor stylized ones. I am talking about realistic graphics, and a Day/Night system that can handle itself without having to glitchfuly update every one second or so.

When it comes to open world games, this system is the most important of all, along with weather. I don’t care about anything movie-realistic just something that WORKS. So is this the only way to make an open world game in unreal? Skylight and heavy recaptures? There HAS to be another way. What do you think?

Yes, Unreal can do it.

Can you give more information about this glitching? What is the problem you are seeing?

Hello! Example: If I set the sky to recapture every 1 second, there’s a spike in performance every one second, freezing and unfreezing instantly. Maybe glitch was not the correct term. If I set the sky to recapture 25 times per second so that day/night animation is real-life smooth, the game just lags. Not very much, but enough to be annoying. This is a problem I found lots of people to have, but no solution so far.

There must be something wrong with the way you have it set up. Unreal can easily handle moving a directional light around in a circle. The amount of shadows it’s casting, number of additional lights, and shader complexity of the various assets in the scene will affect the frame rate, but a moving directional light is very light weight.

Maybe show us some of the work you’re doing so we can try to isolate the problem for you? There could be hundreds of reasons you’re not getting the results you want, but Unreal not being able to do it isn’t one of them. The engine is extremely powerful out of the box.