Open Level broken on android

I can’t test that because of the build errors. It’s like the engine thinks there’s redirectors but there aren’t.
I’ve looked through my folders and deleted anything that looks remotely like a redirector and i still get errors saying that it can’t find files that have been renamed or deleted.
Fix redirects in folder does nothing, turning on the show redirectors filter shows nothing.

It might be better if i email you a copy of the project so you can take a closer look.

I’ve managed to get it to build again, there was a BP referencing something that had moved, it should have thrown up compile errors but it didn’t.

I packaged it for android and installed and it does the same thing as launching.

If the cast failed it would never change the UI, which it does do, but because the level doesn’t open it reverts back to the main menu which reloads the menu UI again.

Hello ,

I downloaded the sample project that you used to test the issue on your device. I do not have access to a Nexus 4 and to my knowledge it is not on the list of recommended/test devices. I did however go through and test it on later devices (Starting with the Nexus 5 and going up to a Nexus 9). The sample project worked without any issues on all devices. Would it be possible for you to try your project on a newer device? This will help narrow down where the issue is occurring.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to any newer Android devices.

I tried to package the test level I posted via Google Drive into an APK and run it on my Nexus 4 and it crashes on launch.

If i launch on device it loads but OpenLevel still fails.

I also tried packaging and running my main project on an older Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it crashes on load with the error:

Failed to open descriptor file ‘…/…/…/bZerk_proto5/bZerk_proto5.uproject’

Hopefully sometime soon I will have access to an Apple dev key and a tablet to test on.

Hello ,

After looking over all of the information provided I feel comfortable saying that this issue is due to it being run on the Nexus 4. Unfortunately this is not a device that is supported. However, I would like to assist you further once you are able to test this issue on the newer devices you mentioned above. I am going to mark this issue as resolved until then. If the issue persists (on the other devices) please feel free to reopen this issue and I will be more than happy to help you further.

Will do.

Do you have any idea why the Nexus 4 would be much different to the 5? They both run native Android.

Hello ,

I was able to test a device with a similar GPU and did not run into the issue that you are seeing. I do have a quick suggestion that will help give us a little more insight into the issue that you are seeing. Could you trying packaging it out using the ETC1 Compression settings?

Make it a great day

I built with ETC1 and copied the APK and OBB to my Nexus4 but when i click on the APK and hit install, it runs for a while then says “App not installed.”

ATC also fails to install.

If I build for ‘all’ it installs but OpenLevel fails.

Hello ,

I noticed that you didn’t say that you ran your .bat file. So could you try using the following steps to package out your project?

Try the following steps:

1. Connect the device to your computer
  2. Remove all old versions from your phone
  3. Use a new folder location or clean out the old version in your previous folder location that is used for packaging
  4. Package for ETC1
  5. Open your folder location after packaging
  6. Run your .bat file
  7. Open the app on your device

bat opens and closes instantly without installing app to phone or giving error messages.

If i package my OpenLevel test project (ETC1) for a Nexus7 tablet (copy paste apk and obb, bat still does nothing) and install then launch it says “Unfortunatly, android_openLevel has stopped.” every time.

I can however launch it from editor, and it opens, but OpenLevel command just returns me to level1 just like in my main project.

Hi ,

Can you get debug logs from ADB monitor/logcat for your Nexus 4 and post them here as a txt file?

Thanks!

I cleared the log then launched from editor and got [this][1]

Cleared again and launched bat (ETC1), log was completely empty.

Cleared again and installed from copy pasted (ETC1) APK and OBB, got [this][2]

[logcat1.txt Line 1143] LogNet:Warning: Travel Failure: [InvalidURL]: Invalid URL: /Game/bZerk/Maps/MainMenu

Looks like it thinks my map urls are invalid.
Here’s my map locations, they look ok to me.

Hi ,

When you said you copy pasted the APK and OBB, what do you mean? How did you install the apk without the batch file?

Can you package your project and try installing to the device via the batch file with monitor running once more? If it still isn’t working or showing anything in the monitor when you run the batch file, can you send us your project or the .apk of your packaged project via a file transfer like Google Drive or Dropbox?

Copy paste via usb from my pc into a folder on my phone storage, then run the apk, it asks to install. Or use ‘ES File Explorer’ on phone to access pc via wifi.

This is android_openlevel a clean 3d sidescroller with the minimum implementation of what im doing in my main project, it breaks in exactly the same way.

In PIE it runs and the button works.
Launch onto Nexus4 from editor it runs but the button does not take me to the next level like it should.
Copy paste all to phone and run APK installs but wont run at all.

Running BAT on its own does nothing.
Running bat from CMD still does nothing but at least it doesnt close the window.

(ETC1) APK, OBB and BAT here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9U7rcZaCw8CU1MxdUsyNUtoeEE&authuser=0

Project files here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9U7rcZaCw8CanFxU1NOd09ZNFk&authuser=0

Most of this has been addressed already in earlier comments.

I’m aware that running new code on old platforms typically doesn’t work.

I’m just not convinced that this is the case yet seeing as you can tell the editor to compile for gingerbread (v9) and my nexus4 is running lolipop (v21)

Also everything else is working, the only command that is broken should be easily fixable once they can track down why its not working.

When “launch from editor” starts, it means only the current level is transferred, and apparently that level works.

When “Open Level” fails, it either means that the level file wasn’t transferred (launch from editor) or it contains incompatible assets (if you built and installed.)

You should run the BAT file from a command line window, not just double-click it. That will let you see what it prints out and what it’s trying to do.

Also, you should run “adb logcat” in another command line window when trying to install the game or run it from the install. This will capture log messages that quite possibly can show you what the problem is – texture resolution too large, texture format wrong, meshes too large, out of memory, …

If you compare the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5, you will find that the Nexus 5 has a newer GPU (Adreno 330, as opposed to Adreno 320 in the previous one.) This may be similar to trying to run a “shader model 10” game on a graphics card that only supports “shader model 9.”

The version of Android is orthogonal to the version of hardware. You can run a late version of Windows on hardware with an old graphics card.
The real answer will hopefully come from looking at “adb logcat”

I posted logcats in earlier comments, if you can find anything in them that will help, that would be great.

Closest I can find:

W/ResourceType(  728): No package identifier when getting value for resource number 0x00000000
W/PackageManager(  728): Failure retrieving resources for com.RuffHaus.bZerk_proto5: Resource ID #0x0

Also:

I/adblock.(26451): false: http://hmma.baidu.com/app.gif

Are you using a rooted device?

D/UE4     ( 1562): [2015.06.02-23.26.54:771][  0]LogInit: Applying CVar settings loaded from the selected device profile: [Android_Adreno320]

Seems like the 320 should be supported (or, at least, was at one point supported…)

D/UE4     ( 1562): [2015.06.02-23.26.54:789][  0]LogTextLocalizationManager: The requested culture ('en_AU') has no localization data; parent culture's ('en') localization data will be used.

Could this be a US-versus-AU-locale problem? Paths different? Some other data format different?
Can you reset the phone to a factory image (non-rooted) with US locale, and see if it works after running the BAT file to install the package? If so, the problem is isolated.

Other than that, I probably can’t help more – opening levels from menu buttons works for me in my app (4.7.6)