Ongoing C++ Gameplay Example Series: Making a Survival Game

NetMulticast function is called on every client that connected to server.
Client function is called only on the single client, which is actual owner of the actor

Thanks, it makes sense!

Hey I was wondering if the final version of this project will be using 4.8 ?

Yes, Iā€™ll be upgrading to 4.8 soon.

! Thank you for all your hard work ! Itā€™s always a treat to check the github page to see whats new.

Just submitted a bunch of bug fixes to the github source :slight_smile:

This is a really great resource, so many practical examples of features in a simple and well documented setting.

Thanks for this :slight_smile:

Hi ! Thank you very much for sharing your job!

Can you explain please, how you made the post process material work? I donā€™t seem to be able to do it :frowning: I set the post process material, an instance that i associate with a post process volume (which is ā€œunboundā€) andā€¦ nothing. Under the code, anytime I focus on an usable element I call the method for the mesh to perform post process (and the execution reaches the line)ā€¦ has anyone been able to do it as well?

Thank you!

Do the meshes render into the custom depth buffer? Perhaps you can try reproducing the steps by creating a new level and doing the same thing (I donā€™t see any obvious step you missed in your description) and using the weapon pick blueprint.

A tip for your project: drop a mesh into your level and check ā€œCustom Depthā€ property on the staticmeshcomponent (and simulate/run the game) and see if the outline is drawn. If itā€™s not, the problem if with your post process setup, otherwise itā€™s with the item youā€™re trying to focus.

@: Quick question ā€¦ not sure if I missed it ā€¦ but goes.

When you created your base project, did you use a blank C++ template or the pre-existing FPS or TPS templates?

Basically I wanted to go through your code and add it step-by-step to a test project from scratch so I can get a more in-depth feel for UE4 C++. Thanks.

I used a blank C++ project to get started. Good luck!

One tip I might be able to give you is to use the branches on GitHub, so you can see a growth of code instead of getting it all in your face at once. Just depends on how you like to work I suppose :slight_smile:

(eg. https://github.com//EpicSurvivalGameSeries/tree/Section-1)

Thanks ā€¦ yeah basically I plan on starting a blank project then going through section one by reading your documentation and looking at the branch for section one. Once I am happy and comfortable I will then rinse and repeat with the other sections in sequence.

I am going to do it this way to understand UE4 C++ more clearly and see how you put the entire solution together, this will allow me to change it to my needs at the end of all the sections as I will understand the code better.

Thanks again for the tutorial ā€¦ nice job. 8-}

How about little competition? :stuck_out_tongue:
Iā€™m doing the same stuff to restore my c++ skills(Iā€™ve forgotten almost everything during art and supergrid work D: ) and learn networking(Networking bugs are the most fun, canā€™t ignore that!)
Something like ā€œOne multiplayer game a monthā€ :smiley:

I just updated the player character in Section 6 with the new 4.8 character. You can find the latest source on Github: https://github.com//EpicSurvivalGameSeries

(Section 6 forums: Announcing Section 6 of Survival Game - Adding some polish - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums )

Ummm ā€¦ errrr ā€¦ youā€™ll kick my butt in this competition man. 8-}

I guess we need to define what is considered a game ā€¦ cos like I get carried away and try to make everything perfect.

UPDATE: Section 6 docs now available!

This section concludes the series, I hope you guys learned a lot of new concepts to use for your own games!

5e68a218fd55d38aa1ae7815fd4d568cec3c1719.jpeg

4e15090d6f66e6ff0510bd95fed2b15b7537bb98.jpeg

Thanks very much for this series
Iā€™m still stepping through to get a full understanding of it all (I was good at like section 4)

Itā€™s really helped me by creating a ā€˜jump offā€™ point for my own project which I was struggling to build a base for.

stuff , really excited to dig into it.

What is the licensing on the content btw? Can I use the meshes/mats/etc.?

The licensing is the same as the other Epic Games sample content available. :slight_smile:

Just wondering, do all of the resources provided work in 4.8? Or only the last tutorial is updated to 4.8. I know the hotfix just came out, but that shouldnt change much.