Ongoing C++ Gameplay Example Series: Making a Survival Game

That is a good point. I’ll keep this in mind for the upcoming sections and see if I can be more explicit about that.

@: I’m eagerly following this project, couldn’t start out yet though since I’m still learning C++ right now. My question is: How many players can this project support ? Could it handle 50 players on a server at once ? What about saving stats or items after logging off ? Can you implement this in the end too ? This would be gold!

So far, work all the way! Loving it though I don’t understand much at the moment due to lack of C++ knowledge :slight_smile:

I’m building the project as a small coop project. At the moment I don’t have any large world features planned. Persistence is definitely interesting - but I can’t make any promises :wink:

Hi ,

this is a really cool Project and I think this will help a lot of people. Since you started it in GitHub I did follow the progress, a few minutes ago I checked for the latest commit and found a funny bug. As soon as you approach other Player or AI characters the gun fire doesn’t do any damage on a certain distance. For example, I’m like 10m away everything is fine but as soon as I stand in front of other characters the damage doesn’t count. I didn’t dig into the code yet, just wanted to share it asap.

Cheers

• tucow

Hi! I’ve seen this happen, it’s because of a difference between visual FX and actual damage rays. I’ll have to think about how I can best fix this difference for a later section revision.

Thanks!

Section 3 is now available on the Wiki!

RIGHT

Ohai, that’s interesting as I’m currently looking into developing a stealth game where AI comes in handy. I’m a bit confused though, as this answer states PawnSensing isn’t developed any further and is replaced by the perception system. Moreover, it seems (regarding the comments on the same answer) PawnSensing doesn’t support networking (you might want to correct me on this topic). Do you plan to adapt to this new perception system?

I have PawnSensing working just fine with two networked players, so I don’t know what the issues are that were reported.

And yeah PawnSensing is no longer developed, but it’s not going away for a while either. I may update to perception system post-4.8, it just wasn’t quite the right time to go for perception system yet and pawn sensing is quite simple to use for the simplistic zombie AI so it was a good fit.

Welcome and thank you

Wiki Docs are now available for section 4 on time of day, spawning and game loop!

Hey for some weird reason, I can’t seem to open up the project. I always get this error message:

's what I did:

1. Download the project using Git Bash.
  2. Try to open the .uproject file -> Results in error

I also tried this:

2. Right click on the .uproject file to generate Visual Studio project files
  3. Try to open the .uproject file -> Results in error

Tried :

2. Right click on the .uproject file to generate Visual Studio project files
  3. Build the solution in Visual Studio -> compiles without a problem
  4. Try to open the .uproject file -> Results in error

I also tried the methods using the UE4 Launcher instead of in the windows explorer. If it’s any help, the error appears around the 70% mark of opening up the project. I’m using Windows 7 SP1.

I’ve never seen that before. Perhaps the log files can help us located at SurvivalGame/Saved/Logs/. Could you send them over through PM so I can take a look?

Hi , thanks for your amazing work.

Just wanted to say i couldn’t build right out of the box on OS X with UE4 4.7.6. Had a compile error.

In SLocalPlayer.cpp :

I replaced :

*NickName = FWindowsPlatformProcess::ComputerName() + FString::FromInt(FMath::RandRange(0, 999));*

By :

NickName = FGenericPlatformProcess::ComputerName() + FString::FromInt(FMath::RandRange(0, 999));

After that i could open the project with no problem.

Hi! I’ve had more people reporting this compatibility for OSX. Using the generic avoids the, but won’t allow you to ID others in a multiplayer game. So I’ll see if I can fix this using platform compilation flags.

It would be nice to watch you work on this on a twitch live stream or something. Hearing someone talk about something or seeing something being worked out in a chronological order is how I learn best.

Also, I just downloaded it and I am getting a lot of weird errors like "no instances of overloaded function “ASCharacter::ASCharacter” or identifier “Use” is unidentified. These are all over the place.

That’s odd, are you on 4.7.x? And did you download the branch or a specific section?

branch, and 4.7.6, and the game runs in editor is fine. It’s just visual studio that has the problem.

It sounds like the download is corrupt? Could try getting a fresh copy of the branch and see what happens?

The wiki docs for Section 5 are up! It’s all about networking using some practical examples

Very interesting!

Could you elaborate the difference between the declaration [FONT=Courier New]UFUNCTION(Reliable, NetMulticast) and [FONT=Courier New]UFUNCTION(reliable, client)? From the description they seems to have the same behavior.

Thank!