Oculus Rift DK2 and UE4 4.3: problems with Oculus Runtime 0.4

nice. :cool:

JJ = The man, BTW, y’all :slight_smile:

Since it was working fine with with all 0.4 content, and it was just UE4 who refused to work I was reluctant to try your suggestion but plugging it into a different port made it work for UE4 as well! It’s AWESOME

lol same here, change the usb port only and now works with UE4 too.

JJ, thanks for the info. If I read that clearly, it sounds like direct mode and more specifically oculus runtime 0.4 support probably won’t be in the 4.4 update? Unfortunate timing for sure. I’m in the situation where the primary purpose of my using UE4 is for rift development. At the moment, is impossible, and will be for at least a month I’m guessing. Unless I use the branch from GitHub… which is valid, and I may do that. For now, I’ll try plugging things in differently, and hope extended mode comes back to me.

Any other suggestions for getting UE4 working in extended mode? Thanks all!

I still can´t get rid of the stuttering. It doesn´t occur when walking straight forward, but is extreme when turning.

The rift works in extended mode. I is set to 75 Hz in the Nivdia control center, and there I also activated Vsync for all 3d applications.
I have to say, that I can´t find out how to open the console to show stat fps. I set my Keyboard from German to English(US), but still
nothing happens when pressing the ~ key in standalone game??
But in my editor window in simlutate mode I always get 55-60 fps. In the realistic rendering demo, as well as in the simple content expample scene.
I´m running on a GTX 770 4gb. How am I supposed to get 75fps? Do I get more fps when playing in standalone mode and not in the editor?

Is the Vsync the cause of the stuttering? Do I have to type in the HMD Vsync ON console command, what I cannot do, because I´m to stupid opening the console? :wink:
Sorry, I know I seem to be missing basic things, hope someone can help.

You can set a different key for the console in the editor under Edit > Project Settings > Input > Console. I have mine set to Tab.

Found the console, thanks :slight_smile:

I tested the realistic rendering demo on a Computer with a Geforce Titan and the Oculus DK1. Standalone game in 1280x800.
Oculus is set to 75 HZ.
Stat fps shows something about 75 fps. The stuttering isn´t so bad like it is with the DK2 on my computer with “only” the 770 GTX.
Nevertheless it is still there. There is tearing, but “HMD Vsync ON” command has no effect. Vsync is activated in the nivida 3d settings.
How do I active vsync in unreal 4?
If the frame rate is the problem, do I have to wait for next gen GPUs to be able to use the Rift with Unreal 4? After all
i can´t get it to run without any stuttering with a Titan and a 1280 resolution.
I´d love to build my stuff in Unreal 4, but it is hard to enjoy with that performance.
Did anyone manage to get f.e. the realstic rendering demo running with almost no judder when turning the head with the oculus?

vsync is activated by default
you must deactivate realtime when you play in standalone, you get more FPS
if you make the package and close all you get a bit more FPS.
i get 65-70fps in the realistic render (rift mode) with a r9-290. if i package i think i can got low latency.
In the VRpostprocess i don’t known why they active FXAA that its a big sh*t and seems not relevant for FPS to me. ¿why devs?

Delete the Sphere Reflections help to get a bit more fps.

and yes performance is disappointing , i wait for the next release before cry :p. hope we can see any good performance improvement near in the future.

but i think that what we get… Graphics Cards for VR are no ready for realistic or too much good/detailed graphics you/we going to need change the “chip” we can get in VR the same quality that we have in a monitor ATM.

Anyway as i say hope UE4 and Oculus made any nice improvement in performance, i’m not happy :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m having similar issues, I have to say that even other devs (Euro Trucker) are lagging in Native Mode, and it seems a bit of change in approach over DK1, I hope gets resolved, as the way it sits now it’s a $350+ Paperweight on my desk. As having to swap drivers, and dealing with compatibility mode is not something I was prepared for, or wanting to do, given that I go in between Unreal, and other “U” based engines…

Where do you deactivate realtime?

in the arrow in the viewport of the editor. anyway its better build the package and close the editor, the editor eat alot.

Using the settings from knack, I got ok performance in realistic render using the test game build from latest development build with my DK2 on a Geforce 770. Forced refresh rate, vsync, fxaa settings from nvidia control panel. How does one easily force shipping to use stereo with console disabled? Will have to see if its easy to support direct hmd access mode or I guess wait for proper support but would be convenient and config dialog says that should lower latency as well.

With the demo I noticed that as long as I do not look at the coffee table or the sofa it works reasonably well. Not that that is really ok but looking at the book shelf, out the window, or at the TV work reasonably well. Its got some way to go for sure but it is starting to be passable.

What I don´t understand is, why there is only stuttering when turing your head.
When I move the character forwand and backward or strafe sideways there is almost no stuttering?

I think it’s because of timewarp is not working correctly.
Timewarp is trying to create intermediate frames when fps < 75 and your viewpoint has changed.
Btw: can timewarp be disabled in UE4 ?

To disable timewarp from the console enter: ‘hmd timewarp off’

that not make difference to me ON/OFF are the same.

I found the setting that makes the Realistic Rendering to work great for me. I set Project Settings > Engine > Rendering > Lighting > GBuffer to Off and get perfect 75 fps in the entire room all of the time. Obviously loses a lot of what makes it realistic I guess. Also needed to set “Gamma 3” or so to make it brighter and there are some strange shadow artifacts but I think they were there before changing setting but more noticeable now.

Edit: Changing Distance Field Penumbra Size to 0.0 seems to fix shadow artifacts and makes the scene render better when gbuffer is on so at least without Rift looks much better to me. I sort of like it with Mobile HDR off as well but performance seems to go down quite a bit with that. I set World Settings > Lightmass > Num Indirect Lighting Bounces from 7 to 4 or 1 or 0 and the quality and smoothness and it seems to improve overall fps. Sticks somewhere in the high 60s but still looks pretty decent but still has some jutter but I like the look better and its not too jarring.

v0.4.1 of the Oculus SDK/Runtime has just been released, and in the email it was stated:

“UE4 integration patch is now available that supports 0.4 SDK and runtime”

Where might patch be? It wasn’t part of the Oculus SDK.

• Dave

Anyone tried out the Oculus SDK 0.4.1?