Oculus Rift consumer version preorders open now! $599, shipping March 2016

I think so too. Sometimes. I thought it would happen this year or at least soon but it seems I was wrong. Maybe it’s a bit like the step from reading a book vs watching TV. This did not happen over night either but nobody would miss the TV this days. That said there are still lots that are reading books. Anyway I don’t have a big choice because I don’t have 2000€ for a new PC + this VR headset right now in my pocket and today I don’t feel motivated that I would squirrel that money that soon.

Wow… just wow. $600? I mean, at least I still have my DK2 (although the camera needs a new PS). There is no way I would be able to afford that, at least, this year (RL, moved across the country, truck went poof, etc.)…

The Rift will cost a bit more than the DK2… ok, so a bit more, $400? Sounds ok. $250 is not a bit more. It’s almost double the price!

Yeah it’s a communication failure, first and foremost. here’s Palmer answering some questions on Reddit: Reddit - Dive into anything

One other thing… are not going to release the SDK/Runtime until March? How does this affect 4.11? Are they out of their bloody minds?

I was aiming for a Day 1 release… not a “Day 1: Shipping Build… Day 2: Submit to Marketplaces… Day 14: Release”.

One other thing… are not going to release the SDK/Runtime until March? How does this affect 4.11? Are they out of their bloody minds?

I was aiming for a Day 1 release… not a “Day 1: Shipping Build… Day 2: Submit to Marketplaces… Day 14: Release”.
[/QUOTE]

Smells like they didn’t wanna give some of the tech to the competition? If you have a game that’s coming out soon you can request access to the 1.0 sdk though. It’s a bit beta hush hush vibe.

Even if I get the SDK, I am not a programmer, I have no idea how to implement it into the Unreal Engine. The SDK release is for Epic to integrate it into the engine. Even if I was a programmer, the app has to be approved by FB/OC. What if the app I am creating is not approved, or not within their scope of approvals, IE: an adult-orientated game?

The biggest draw for me even coming into game development was so that I could be on in the middle of a great technology coming into the marketplace for the first time, as a developer. True indie developers or solo people can get on the “Day 1 release” market, not just AAA / sub-AAA studios. This entire thing just feels like a swift kick to the man-parts.

There was a recent post (facebook or blog post) by UE4 saying it’ll be integrated with 4.11.
I believe that should be out in in time to make the upgrades and do some light testing if you receive CV1, before day 1 release.
Oculus is reviewing games now, so I’d imagine you could submit one for runtime 0.7.0.0 or 0.8.0.0, get it approved, then upload the 1.0.0.0 build before day 1 release.

It’ll most likely be fine I think, just a little rushed

Hence the question :wink:

If 4.11 is out before March, will it have the Oculus 1.0 implementation, and will we be able to download the runtime? According to Oculus, they are not releasing the SDK / Runtime until March 28th. Soo… wtf? Will 4.11 have 1.0 implementation? If it does, then how are we supposed to test it (using the DK2), if we can’t get the runtime to go along with it?

Anyone remember the Motorola Xoom? Motorola Xoom - Wikipedia

I don’t think the price is an issue. Oculus CV1 is as posters mentioned already sold-out for the first half of 2016. They’re the first to market with the consumer version and of course it will be early-adopter customers but I believe Oculus will sell whatever it can manufacture for 2016.

Oculus could have targeted the $450 price point but I think they didn’t want to burn through too much cash especially since there are (a) no competitors in the consumer market and (b) you require a $1,000 to $2,000 PC to run it anyway.

$600 could still make the CV1 a loss-leader for Oculus and maybe Palmer, their board, whoever, just didn’t want to take too much of a risk with price and units produced.

The sleeper hit could be the Samsung Gear VR which is out now for $99 and racking up (if genuine) good reviews.

Sony’s PS4 seems to be doing very well in the console world and they’d probably push out Morpheus by end of 2016.

So in first-gen VR we have Gear VR, Morpheus and CV1. Vive would probably launch less than CV1, perhaps $500, but who knows.

Suffice to say in the past few days the Vive reviews from CES look promising and with Steam behind it’s very unlikely to be unsatisfactory.

Early adopters and keyboard warriors are all “furious” that we don’t have the latest-and-greatest right now, but that’s how the companies are milking things as well (or simply doing sensible product and financial management)… the interest generated and the first-gen testers will refine the product well enough that in 2017-2018 with Nvidia Pascal, Intel Kaby Lake, and second-generation VR, that’s when things will accelerate.

VR as it is won’t be as big as smartphones, until they are contact-lens or brain-chip level devices, circa 2025-2035.

Welcome to 2016.

I think it is …at least it makes a huge difference for the market size and it makes a difference for my own pocket. Even if there is something “sold out” already. The current price reduces the possible market to below 1% of gamers without any expected earthquake or revolution anytime soon (> 3 years) and from that few ones not everybody would play everything. Some gamers would not play a game with horror elements, some dislike ponys, some don’t like fantasy, some don’t like sci-fi, some don’t like shooters, … If I create a new world I would not play in it alone even if I could shake my head in it and have to pay lots of money to be able to do this first. It’s not just the expensive headset but for many even a new PC. Palmer already wrote that a GTX 970/AMD 290 would not mean automatically max details (Reddit - Dive into anything) but only high. This is some interesting fact if you would invest further money and if you would do this today. I compared current GPUs few days ago just to know what I have to invest any further if I would get this new VR headset. GTX 970 had some strange start with this 3.5/4GB Vram issue, AMDs 290 seems to be a heater and the next better GPUs are still much more expensive. So far it made my decision much easier to skip all of them. You could play pretty much any title maxed out with hardware below this specs and still lots prefer to stay “mobile” and get a weaker laptop instead even if this means the only time when they where mobile was the time when they unboxed their machine and put it on its final destination on the desk. Current mainstream of laptops from the year 2015 that have to play in crappy low or mid quality got a GPU performance that is about the same performance of high-end desktop GPUs from the year …2009? So if any time traveler could read this: If you would get into the timeframe where VR became a serious factor to the common gaming folk then don’t land here.

Rift doesn’t have a 4k 60" display. Neither has android, apps, a full computer inside it. You still need to pay another +1000USD/EUR to get a computer that comply with the specs, and then there’s almost no supported games or apps.

VR is still a niche market, the only one who can really can change it right now is Sony, but I don’t see the PSVR being a lot cheaper, probably isn’t going to be lower than 400$/€. Still the game list looks more promising, the installation and use will be idiot compatible and is going to be the cheaper solution for decent VR gaming.

clearly there will be no enough market in 2016 for doing something exclusive for VR, with touch controls shipping in mid year, and with that prices neither in 2017.

if you can afford the risk to develop for a small audience and/or have some money for develop without see your money back in two or more years go, that going to be a good market in the future. I can’t.

Adapt something from monitor to rift and forget Touch controls for something serious the next year at least and that all.

unfortunately for me i developing my two projects with VR controller in mind. that mean exclusive for VR, my fault. I begin this week working to monitor games again and leave develop VR just for fun.

$599 is without taxes, right?? I know taxes are different per state in the US, but how much on average is it?

The Rift in Euro, including taxes and shipping, is EURO 749 which is $812,96 !! I’m not going to pre-order. I’ll wait for the Vive hoping it will be cheaper or wait for prices to drop a bit.

I am from europe but i read in US sale taxes going from 0% to 18% depend of state

This is what will happen, but now that horizon is further away. I think the issue was communication, the expectation was that when CV1 landed it would begin the mass market adoption (‘cheap, high quality HMD available now’) what has happened is we have a good hmd, but not cheap. So in this image

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/4/45/20110714211709!DiffusionOfInnovation.png

We are still closer to the innovator area rather than getting closer to early adopters. Simply put VR is now clearly a bit father away than most people thought, this is disheartening but not a disaster. It does at least mean that we have more time to develop things…

$599 is way too much. If I was woking on an Oculus project that is not going to be available on day one (and therefore have more competition), I’d be scared.

Same here. $300 would have been a lot for a VR device. Considering the additional cost of upgrading PC specs. But now its $600 excluding vat.
Maybe if i was in a first world country but im not.

By the time the device reaches me after import costs, tax and currency conversion rates it will be half my monthly salary.

Its a new technology so hopefully there are enough well off people in the world to keep buying these things so the prices can come down.
Problem is Vive is going to be in the same ballpark so my dreams of VR will have to wait.

Hopefully by the time its affordable we would have our hands on a more manageable omnitrack. Something functional and affordable.

The biggest issue, currently, is that if you do not plan on submitting for a private code branch for the 1.0 SDK, you will not be able to update or test your project until the SDK is released on 3/28. Regardless of my feelings about this, since the Engine probably won’t be updated that day with the build, then you will want to git-patch the code branch from Oculus with your build.

I have no idea how to do that, nor am I using the git-branch code anyways (launcher-based install).

I’ll ask around, but if someone doesn’t mind, would anyone be so kind as to submit a YT video tutorial on:

• Downloading / installing the engine from GitHub
  • “Patching” the engine from a separate branch from GitHub

I thought Oculus SDK 1.0 and SteamVR SDK 1.0 were coming in final release of UE 4.11?