Download

Oculus Go experiences?

Now that the GO is released and the NDA’s for the reviews have been lifted - anyone has any experience to share about developing for the Oculus GO?
Already using a Rift but the GO is more easy to carry to clients (architecture designs) and 3 DOF should be enough for most of them. Most of my projects could be stripped down to < 100k polys - its the shader count that I worry more about…

I don’t have any direct experience, but according to the developer’s documentation it is exactly like developing for Gear VR.

@vr_marco, I read the same but I’m curious about actual experiences.

Waiting for our Oculus Go, will share more about it as we go hands-on.

Having to use a smartphone for the one time setup of the GO is rather clumsy to me (or just another way to get more personal data ?)

To get it into developer mode; https://developer.oculus.com/documen…vice-setup-go/

Getting Windows/Unreal to find the android device. Install the usb drivers for the GO from Oculus.
ADB devices only listed the GO once and never after. Solution https://forums.oculusvr.com/develope…devices#latest
What also works is just restarting the GO while keeping it connected with the usb cable.

Installed Nvidia Codeworks. Building a simple 1p starter project for Android failed. Unreal ask for SDK 23. Solution; Do a full install when installing Android using Nvidia Codeworks.

Building with Unreal now fails at “XGE version 8.01 (build 1867) or higher is required for XGE shader compilation with the interception interface.”
Solution was to de-install Visual Studio 2015 and install Visual Studio 2017

First success of a build of a 3p default project to the GO. In project settings use the gearVR deployment.
After some more testing its fairly easy. Just use the 1p blueprint, add MotionController(R) X/Y axis to the inputs and you’re on to a good start. The MotionController(R)Up/Down/etc work ok as well but by using the axis you can change speed easily; more near the center is slow, more to the outside is more fast.

After one day spent with the Oculus Go, I have to report that I am favorably impressed by it. It took a bit to setup the SDK and UE4 to be able to Launch on it (also thanks to Oculus providing the wrong adb drivers, which they fixed today by releasing version 2.0), but after that it has been a smooth ride.

Both the head tracking and the touch controller respond nicely. I have figured out all the input events which I have shared back here: [Oculus Go] Key mapping for Input Events - Unreal Engine Forums

Will share more as I gain experience with it.

Cheers,
Marco.

How many triangles in the scene can it run? on Samsung S8 (spandragon835) gearVR it can run only no more than 100 000 triangles for an entire level, I facing significant performance drops once I populate a scene with the object, I had to do crazy low poly objects to make them there with the most inferior quality. Oculus Go run on 821 snapdragon which is really low-performance power for VR, it is not officially capable to run VR, I curious what kind of magic they did with Android to make it run smooth.

I have just started with it and I am working right now on setting up the performance measurement tools. Will let you know how far I was able to push it.

Some more tests with the GO (using Mobile Multi-View & MMV direct).

1. Monoscopic Far Field Rendering shows some glitch / line at the transition distance. Anyone noticed as well? Any way to prevent this? Just not use it?
  2. Foliage (for instance masked tree branches) look really bad from a distance (very pixelated). I would expect them to be more blurry. Is the Mobile MSAA (2x/4x) working as expected?
  3. Any way to get stats visible in the GO (rhi/fps)?
  4. Vulkan doesn’t work on the GO

Still having a lot of fun with the GO.

Stats visible via widgets is possible, I usually attached some text-widgets and placed FPS var there.
My question is - usually original resolution on VR devices comes bluerry and people uses ScreenPercentage 200% or vr.PixelDensity 2.0 to make it sharp, same story applies to Oculus Go, whatever you’re going to develop, first thing to change in the scene would be vr.PixelDensity 2.0 to make entire level look good, otherwise it will never look as good as it could be. Then start develop your Level and test it. Start with no materials, just basic clay-mat and then slowly populate the scene with objects and test FPS.

@smbv1 thanks for the suggestions. Already using the Rift for over a year but this is a new ballgame for me.
A widget works nice for displaying fps. Good idea.
The vr.Pixeldensity 2.0 together with monoscopic far field is causing a visual mess. Without it its quite a big performance drop - from 60fps to 30fps. Testing different values now (1.4 / 1.2)

@maxbrown You can display some native statistics inside the Oculus Go by enabling the performance HUD through the OVR Metrics Tool here: OVR Metrics Tool | Developer Center | Oculus

Carefully read the readme.txt file, it explains how to install the metrics tool and activate the performance HUD.