Octopus Katamari-like

Oh the caustics? Those are a light function attached to one, super powerful directional light. It’s one caustic texture (I think it might be the one that ships with the engine for the FX cave demo), tiled and panned and scaled differently and then blended until it modulates the light’s power to get effect. I can share the material if you wanted to see how I approached it

I love character- be cool if you made some camouflage shader, where he changes colors/patterns. Also, add some small bubble particle effects to the tips of his tentacles and increase the particle count based on the tentacle velocity. To give that underwater swoosh look.

@Brian Yes would be interesting to see ^^

Here is the light function I use to get the caustics on the ground. If you hook it up to a strong directional light you’ll see the same effect. Pretty effective. Let me know if you have any feedback on it, I’m sure there are lots more efficient ways to get the same effect. I’m pretty new to materials.

Let me know if you have any questions about what any piece of it’s doing. Basically, it samples the same texture at a few different scales, then pans it at different rates at different offsets. Each sample is then multiplied in pairs and then added or multiplied again to give different scales of details on the ground.

Since all the textures are grayscale, you can pack them into one, and get a separate texture from each channel

That’s true, for sure. I sample each one at a different rate on its UVs, and at some offset. Is there a way to do that with one texture sample? According to the debugger material only has two texture samples, since they point to two different textures (one sharp and one blurry).

Here’s a new video! I’ve implemented controls to separate picking up objects and climbing on walls. I’ve also implemented jumping via ink jet blast!

Thanks for sharing ^^

Hey , we’ve added in a new character model for the octopus, added bouncing and jiggling. Let me know what you think!

Haha awesome! Looks really fishy/gooey.

looks fantastic. I love how happy he looked rolling around with the ball!