Octopus Katamari-like

I find it incredibly cute and addictive to watch! Really hope you’ll make a game out of it!

Someone suggested Calamari from the Sea. Pretty sure I’m sold on that.

is fantastic work! Love the Octopus tentacle holding onto the edge while almost falling off.

Keep it up, looks like a really fun game to play.

Thanks for the encouraging words, . Here’s a bonus video of some stuff catastrophically breaking. It makes me

I watched all of your videos but I really have to post something now.

It is just awesome. It is pretty mesmerizing I must say :smiley:

Keep up the good work, but please, don’t call anything with octopus, because you know, octo = 8 and your thing has only 4 tentacles. So technically it is just a quadropus^^

Anyways, please give more videos.

Haha, thanks I’m glad you enjoy it. I know he’s a quadropus, but it doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. Maybe the other four arms are secret. Maybe he’s secretly a 4 armed squid, and so the game will be called Calamari from the Sea :slight_smile:

Love and name-wise something with Calamari sounds awesome. Do you have any gameplay ideas yet? What would be the goal for the player?

Nothing super clear. I have a few technical goals still to get over before I start to experiment with gameplay goals. My primary focus is going to be getting static meshes climbable instead of just primitives.

I’ve got plenty of ideas, but just like the rest of project, I’m going to let it grow organically. I’m going to focus on short, high impact iteration loops to try out lots of different things quickly. If it turns out none of my ideas are any fun, then I’ll change course.

So as of 4.7, it looks like getting bone locations of a physics simulating skeletal mesh is fixed! means that I can use the regular transform for the bones for constraint attachments, which means I can attach octopus to anything, including other skeletal meshes. For example:

is looking great. I just love how the octopus looks. I can totally see myself playing for hours. Lmao :smiley: Anyways, keep up the good work man! :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to play when you release it :slight_smile:

Is there anything we can do to encourage you to develop your game in the open? Asking as great examples of physics games are hard to come by and yours would make a great example!

Man It’s been a month, I need a new video!

Hey sorry! I have a video done. I’ll upload it tonight. I’ve got “easy climb” going, so you can hold a button and roll up walls and stuff. system also has enabled holding objects while climbing surfaces. Thanks for your interest!

Oh hey I just now saw post. Sorry! Didn’t mean to ignore you. What do you mean by in the open? Like providing the project file as I go along?

I think he’s meaning more to just keeping up with updates and being open about your tuning, challenges and general development process.

Oh yeah that makes sense. I’ll put together a breakdown post of what I’m doing and where I’m going soon. Maybe I’ll make some videos to quickly run through what I’ve built and how it’s structured.

In the meantime, here’s a video of that octopus climbing walls without needing to detach from them. Additionally it can now climb walls while holding junk. Getting there!

Looking good!

(I’m really loving the name ‘Beautiful Calamari’ by the way. That’s too puntastic).

is brilliant!! Great work :smiley:

is awesome, will defiantly check back on thread. Hope you release a demo, would be awesome to check out! :smiley:

Looks like octopus is the way to go recently :smiley: Looks great!

Are those real reflections or the ground or a seperate material?