Ocean Dissapearing ingame and in Editor.

Summary

Hello.

For some reason whenever I move the Ocean waterbody in UEFN it sometimes disappears and appears again.

The situation is worse in game.
Around 100 to 200 meters from the center the ocean looks fine but for some reason the Backdrop Islands don’t appear even though all of them have the option “Never Distance Cull” enabled.

after going around 500 meters from the center the Ocean suddenly disappears.

I don’t know if this issue is only happening to me or the map or even if you can recreate it.

Is there anyway to fix this issue?

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

World Building

Steps to Reproduce

1. New “Blank” Project.
  2. Create Landscape (Overall resolution 2,017 x 2,017; Component Resolution 64 x 64)
  3. Add Ocean volume
  4. Disable “Affects Landscape”

Expected Result

It should work just like a regular ocean.

Observed Result

For me the ocean disappears after moving it and reapers in the Editor. In game the ocean dosent appear around 500 meters from the center of the map.

Platform(s)

PC

Additional Notes

No island code cause I started working on this map today.

Here Are also some screenshots to better understand the issue.

How it looks in the Editor.

Ingame around 100 to 200 meters from the center.

Ingame around 500 meters from the center.

I’ve found there is a culling of distance, even props that are not spatially loaded cull, but it could be just because I use performance mode.
HLODs seem to keep showing where always loaded actors will disappear.

I recon you should add your backdrop islands to HLODs.

I cannot see your waterzone volume in the editor screenshot, it should be as big as your ocean extents.

All of the ofshore islands we’re already in HLODs.

I’ve also made a little video to make it easier to understand what is happening.

(Recording is awful because literally every recording software didn’t work and I had to use the Snipping Tool)

I’ve tried to build HLODs and even updating the Revision Control but the bug is still happening.

I’ve had problems before from ocean nodes being too far inland when there are other waterbodies
and the systems get mixed up a bit in the waterzone’s calculation.

It looks like your ocean is miscalculating with the interplay from all the yellow boxes of the river splines, Its rendering the ocean surface fine when its above the other water bodies, but when thier volumes intersect with the ocean surface it goes funny.

I recon if you stretch your ocean spline out, add a few more nodes and roughly follow inside the coastline of your island,
Might have to play with node positions a little, where the river meets the sea, if you notice the river surface disappear on the last spline section.

Unrelated, the ocean collision extents amount calculates from centre to edge, but the ocean extents are from edge to edge so the collision extent value can be half the ocean extent values.
The collision extents only need to be as big as the playable area, but I don’t know if it really matters on second thought,maybe the equations to check for water collision only uses x y z and size of area doesn’t impact on performance

I’m not sure on the backdrop island issue, maybe the never distance cull setting is overriding the being in the HLOD setting and keeping it out of HLOD so it doesn’t clash,
in game using performance mode it definately culls anything set to not spatially load or set to no distance cull, but HLODs always show.

Thank you for the advice! I’ll try to fix this issue and report back if it helped or not.

Also should i try to remove some splines from the rivers or not? It sounds like it could
potentially help.

I have found the solution on the Backdrop islands. All i needed to do is enable “Never Distance Cull” and disable “Is Spatially loaded”. Now the backdrop islands show up. The same thing can’t be said about the ocean.

The ocean still disappears after going to far from the center.

The Red BOX shows where roughly the ocean disappears. The center of the island is right above where the two rivers meet right by the lake.

I hope this picture helps a little on finding out why the ocean disappears. Or maybe I’m just stupid and cant find the solution which could be right infront of my eyes.

Good work on the backdrop island find, i have more faith in the distance cull setting now, i will do the same thing on mine. Maybe they are so far away they aren’t getting added to the HLOD ???

With the ocean, check how many waterbrushes you have in the outliner, there should be only 1 per landscape.

Keep playing with the ocean splines, there could be a sweetspot.

I notice you also have an underground volume in the Red BOX, I wonder if this has any influence on the situation

FOUND THE SOLUTION!

All you need to do is Enable “Never Distance Cull” and Disable “Is Spatially Loaded” just like the Backdrop islands!

I’m not sure what happens if you enable HLOD options on the ocean, since I still haven’t made HLODs for my island, but I assume it would still work just fine.

3 Likes