Object's edges vibrating when up close in VR headset.

While using HMD the objects appear to be vibrating and have aliasing on the edges. Its running on Oculus Quest 2 with Oculus Link on PC. My specs are i7-11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM and RTX3060 12GB. How do i avoid these jitters, I have tried almost everything i know, changing the anti-aliasing settings, improving performance, optimzed my blueprints. I cant really pin down whats the issue.

1 Like

Hello Externlabs,

My first reaction is to tell you to set MSAA as your anti-aliasing method, but you mentioned that you already tried this.

It might be helpful if you were able to record a video of the vibrating edges. (I’m curious!)

Cheers, welcome to the forums.

Sure, I will try recording it but its very difficult as phenomena only appears inside of VR headset, whereas the Desktop view is crisp clear

Are you using forward rendering? You cannot use MSAA without that being enabled. It does sound like that may be your issue. Apols if you’ve tried that already.

You can record inside the quest and send that

How do i properly use anti-aliasing

Set forward render and MSAA settings in Project Settings → Engine - Rendering
Good luck!

Thanks a lot for replying, I will definitely try this.

Well these settings are already enabled, I have tried different combinations of AA but still no luck, any method to Super Sample pixels in HMD?

You can change the AA sample count be executing this command r.MSAACount 2 or 4 or 8.
I don’t know what else to suggest without more info/screenshot.

I will post more info by tomorrow, will this work on Meta Quest 2 using Quest Link?

Yes, it is for PCVR using the link. Native Quest uses the mobile renderer and has separate settings in Engine - Rendering → Mobile

Hi again,

Experiment with vr.pixeldensity for supersampling!

In the down-sampling direction Screenpercentage/Pixeldensity is a good magic bullet for helping performance. (Quest fixed foveated rendering basically is just lowering the pixeldensity at the corners of the view)

Cheers

This is back from 2017, do they plan on improving it further in unreal engine 5? VR support in 4 and 5 is almost the same

With UE5 there is now “Temporal Super Resolution” but I haven’t experimented with it in a VR context yet. Dynamic Resolution could be a good solution too. (Sharp rendering when performance allows?)

Without Nanite/Lumen UE4/5 for VR is very much the same. (Possible Nanite support for 5.1 though!)

Cheers