Object with translucent material jitters when moving

I am posting an answer to my own question here, since I could not find anything when googling. Hopefully this will help others.

My scenario was as follows:

• Static mesh is being moved along with the camera so that it remains in view
  • The mesh has a material with “Translucent” material domain.

The symptom was that the mesh always “jittered” a bit as the camera moved. Static meshes with solid materials di did not experience this issue. Conversely, translucent materials would vibrate by a couple of pixels left and right.

The fix for this is to enable Output Velocity under “Translucency” in the material settings:

349335-untitled.png

I am not sufficiently versed in the Unreal renderer to understand the full consequences of this, but it seems to provide the Engine with the required data to smooth out the motion.

4 Likes

Thank you! I had the same issue and your post helped me. Much appreciated!

Same issue and This fixed it… Thanks a lot!!

It appears that this works with larger objects but for smaller objects it does not. For instance, I was creating a laser pointer and implemented this change but it still jittered. However, I did the same thing to a weapon mesh to test it and the jittering doesn’t appear on the bigger weapon mesh. I’ve been trying to find a solution to this but have come up with nothing. I’ve read in other forum threads that it may be caused by the emission strength and the way lighting works in the engine. This was happening UE 4.27 for me.