NVIDIA VXGI Integration

Hmm odd. I havent ran into that issue before and have imported lots of assets with my branch. I’ll have to check just the VXGI build, wont be able to until Monday.

If anyone is available to try in the meantime to verify the issue that would help

Got it! :slight_smile: The problem is only in the normal Version of Unreal 4.13 and VXGI 4.13. For the FBX importer of 4.13 you need a default name convention of the UV layer.
Thx again and great work on the VXGI!

Hi, i have a problem with the substance plugin and vxgi (4.13)

I have been able to compile it, when i launch UE4 i get the plugin in the plugin menu and i’m able to use it and import substance material but none of the parameters do anything…
Does anyone have it fully working or is it normal because of the way VXGI is designed?

Hi guys.when i want assign any material to any landscape with any size int any project ue4 crash with a fatal error.i use VXGI(4.13)
where is the problem.anyone has same problem

I also want to know why point light’s shadows disappear after certain distance, any way to fix that? I can have regular shadows from a movable point light to cast proper shadows but not in vxgi.

Hi, I’ve created my own VXGI + VRWorks + UE4.13.2 branch to try and get fast enough VXGI in VR.

Its taken a bit of doing and has been a good way to teach myself a bit more about the nuts and bolts of ue4 at the same time. I’ve fixed a few minor issues like shadows, voxelization in stereo and single pass mode but now it seems I’ve hit the API wall. So I have functioning VXGI VR which is nice and all, now I’d like lens matched rendering or multires to get the frames up a bit.

The problem is the API contains the code that traces into the voxel data and is setup to operate in a set way with set inputs and output textures. This interface does not appear to have been built with lens matched and multires rendering in mind which is understandable considering it predates these concepts but it does throw a spanner in the works. For one thing the ue4 implementation has to do unnecessary work creating the VxgiNormalAndRoughness texture to feed the tracer functions. All though this is not ideal it does give me the opportunity to convert the differed buffers to a standard linear projection which is what the tracer code is expecting. To make the current implementation work I would also need to re-project the depth texture to linear to feed to the tracer incurring more cost. Then I would need to alter the sampling of the resulting diffuse and specular vxgi textures. All doable but not ideal considering the added unnecessary steps and extra shader complexity, not to mention the lack of tracing optimisation that true lens matched or multires support would bring.

I haven’t been working the problem long enough to know if what I’ve done so far is in any way right or working the way I think it is but it seemed like a good point to post and see what others are thinking. It would be great to here from or anyone at NVidia working on the code if they have any advice. Cheers

Does this work with 4.14 yet? :slight_smile:

Is there option to use VXGI at half res ? High resolutions scale really poorly with VXGI enabled, eating as much as 50% performance.

Hello!
VXGI not yet released for UE 4.14? Or there are so many bugs and we need to wait for this fixed?

Hi guys,

My packed VXGI exe is much slower than running it from the editor in standalone mode.

-“VXGI Static Geometry” is double (5.85ms standalone to 10.44ms packed)
-“VXGI Emissive Materials and Indirect Irradiance” is 4.85ms in standalone mode and 6,74ms as an exe
-“VXGI SetSharedState” is 3.93ms in standalone and 6.51ms packed

Anybody else noticed this?

I am using the VXGI 4.13 branch from Nvidia.
Also tried the branch of . Same problem.

I got 45fps on the 1070gtx as a package and 60fps in the standalone mode.
Both in 2k.

Somehow this seems to only happen if I got a lot of objects in the scene.
If I try a cornellbox and just put on heavy load, like 128 cones, the problem is not turning up.

Thanks

Hi, just playing with vxgi, is it possible to get an material inject into the voxel grid, but not appear in the final frame? So it contributes to the scene lighting but doesn’t render, basically a primary visibility switch.

Thanks

VXGI integration in UE 4.14:
https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/VXGI-4.14

As usual, porting issues are possible, but overall it seems to work fine.

VXGI diffuse tracing can already run at 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 the display resolution. This is controlled by “Tracing Sparsity” parameter in PPV / VXGI Diffuse.

This issue has been fixed in a recent update to the 4.13 branch, and the fix is included in the new 4.14 branch.

This is a known issue. VXGI is currently not compatible with MRS or LMS rendering directly; we need to add support for warped G-buffer into VXGI to make that work. Ideally though, VXGI should support creating custom cone tracers with user-defined code that reads from the G-buffer. That would fix all possible formats and warpings of the G-buffer at once.

Alexy Thank you for 4.14 Integration.when i use material paint mode in any project unreal always crash in 4.13.i reproduces this issue and reported in vxgi github page.Is this problem has been fixed in 4.14 version?

All doable but not ideal considering the added unnecessary steps and extra shader complexity, not to mention the lack of tracing optimisation that true lens matched or multires support would bring.

Great to hear from you . Yeah exposing the shader components and implementing the path tracing pass in a usf would be ideal.

Congrats on the 4.14 port must have taken a bit of doing, I’m keen to check it out. For me the cone tracing enabled materials are failing to run in game mode(crashing in GetVxgiConeTracingPixelShaderSet), is this a problem in the 4.14 build. I’ll test it when I pull it down. Cheers.

(Edited) False Alarm - I thought I found a bug, but it seams (still debugging) that it was some my mistake.

Sometimes using previemode “VXGI emmitance Voxels” causes such crash:

Assertion failed: ClearValue.ColorBinding == EClearBinding::EColorBound [File:E:\GitHub\VXGI14\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Commands.cpp] [Line: 1095]
Texture: SceneColor does not have a color bound for fast clears