NVIDIA VXGI Integration

dear . can you merge hairworks in your vxgi 4.14 branch?

Hi guys, just got an RX 480.
Just wondering if anyone would find it useful to have some idea of performance numbers on recent AMD hardware.
It’ll have to wait around a week or so as I’m currently in rural NZ and I can’t even log in to Epics launcher -_-

Some off-topic, but what files can I delete from VXGI folder, because it’s too huge?
I delete “Intermediate” folder and .pdb files - seems like all working fine!

Hi @., do you think VXGI will be performant enough in Unreal for a VR game with lots of dynamic lights / objects?

Reason I ask is because the SciFiHall scene runs at 45 fps (so, likely v-synced between 45 and 90 fps) with VXGI on, in standalone VR game mode (no editor), whereas the Sponza demo runs at about 140 fps (with multibounce 1), however that’s in mono. So I wonder if there are any VR-specific optimizations coming down the pike in 2017 which would make this run well enough at 90+ fps. Also wondering if maybe it’s possible to do the VXGI updates on one GPU and then render using another GPU (via explicit multi-GPU support in ).

Terrific work regardless.

Would the actual integration of VXGI work on consoles, or is it only for PC?

I don’t think any of the consoles are fast enough to use VXGI in any meaningful way.

Hey Guys.

Has anyone had an issue in VR + VXGI where shadows only render in one eye? Tested my Vive project with all types of lights. Shadows and VXGI work independently, but if I enable VXGI on a light that casts shadows, the GI renders fine but the shadows render in the left eye only.

I saw that too. Shadows only in one eye. Also this technique seems to only work with deferred rendering, so VR perf seems to be sub-optimal. I hope there can be some perf gains for this technique over time.

thank you for your answer, ZoltanE!

In case someone was wondering: the voxelization uses the highest LOD level (simplest mesh). This means that if that LOD is missing materials or polygons than the voxelized representation of a mesh could look quite different from the original. This is mostly an issue with reflections and polygons having emissive materials which may get optimized out by Unreal’s mesh simplification.

Why could it be that whatever skysphere I’m trying to use (stock one, UltraDynamicSky) they don’t show up in the reflection, all I got is blackness. I have seen VXGI working with UltraDynamicSky with all default settings, in a different project, but I can’t reproduce the proper reflections… Any advices?

Hey Gomo, i compiled 4.14.3+VXGI with no errors, seems to work correctly. But VXGI opacity voxels and emmitance voxels view modes crashes every time with the same error as yours. Any ideas?

Make sure VXGI is enabled on your skylight.

Ah right it does have something to do with the skylight. VXGI is enabled on it but it has only a very small effect because it only captures a very dark sky gradient. I can’t make it capture the skysphere, no matter what SkyDistanceThreshold is.

EDIT: The SkyLight has to be movable baaaaaahhhhh…

Any update on the Blended Landscape Material crash? It’s preventing me from working on my landscapes.

Is there a trick to make painted foliage show up in the voxelization pass?

Answered my own question:

https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/VXGI-4.15

Hi guys, anyone has problem with VXAO not working in VXGI 4.15 build or I’m missing something? When I used it together with VXGI it lit the whole scene up with its AO color without any occlusion at all, if I used “r.VXGI.AmbientOcclusionMode 1” the scene just goes black! I’m testing using 1 Skylight set to dynamic + VXGI enabled, no directional light. Official VXGI 4.15 build from NVidia.

Hi Guys,

I want to try out VGXI built, Where can i download it?
Thx!

Does anyone have been able to to this? VXGI + Substance plugin + material parameters working
I’m limited to normal materials when using VXGI and that’s the worst thing for me about VXGI…