Nvidia GTX card good enough for UE4 Raytracing?

I’m soon getting a new computer with high end computer parts, but don’t know if I should really spend the extra buck on a Nvidia RTX graphics card rather than a GTX graphics card. I couldn’t really find many videos about raytracing with an GTX video card in UE4. And I don’t know if having a RTX card really makes a difference from a GTX card when using UE4. Does anyone have experience on using GTX cards with UE4 ray tracing or does anyone have any info to share with me about raytracing with a GTX card?

But my final question; Is Nvidia GTX graphics card good enough to run UE4 raytracing?

Keep in mind I’m not buying a RTX just for UE4 I’m just asking what difference will a RTX card have over a GTX card in UE4.

Hello Jamaican Meat,

If you want to go into real-time raytracing, a RTX card would definitely preferable, as they’re engineered around real-time ray tracing and it’s problems. Using a non RTX (consumer level) card will have serious performance issues with real-time ray tracing as they don’t have the necessary components (RT cores) to run well. Otherwise the general performance is better than their GTX counterpart.

Just a friendly advice, don’t overdo the formatting of your questions, as this makes them unnecessarily hard to read.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Vecherka.

Thank you Vecherka your response helps me a lot.

I don’t think Ray tracing (DXR) in Ue4 even takes advantage of the Tensor cores in RTX cards.
So in that case the only difference in performance in Ray tracing will be the base performance of the gfx card.

Hi Razman27,

RT cores are not the same as Tensor cores. If you want to, you can take a deep dive into NVidia’s whitepaper on the NVidia Turing GPU Architecture ( https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/technologies/turing-architecture/NVIDIA-Turing-Architecture-Whitepaper.pdf ). I’ll provide an excerpt here anyways:

RT Cores on GeForce RTX GPUs provide dedicated hardware to accelerate BVH traversal and ray / triangle intersection calculations, dramatically accelerating the ray tracing process. On GeForce GTX hardware, these calculations are performed on the programmable shader cores, a resource shared with many other graphics functions of the GPU.

( Ray Tracing, Your Questions Answered: Types of Ray Tracing, Performance On GeForce GPUs, and More | GeForce News | NVIDIA 07/23/2020 1:35AM PST )

Turing GPUs include an enhanced
version of the Tensor Cores first
introduced in the Volta GV100 GPU. The
Turing Tensor Core design adds INT8
and INT4 precision modes for
inferencing workloads that can
tolerate quantization. FP16 is also
fully supported for workloads that
require higher precision.

The introduction of Tensor Cores into
Turing-based GeForce gaming GPUs makes
it possible to bring real-time deep
learning to gaming applications for
the first time. Turing Tensor Cores
accelerate the AI-based features of
NVIDIA NGX Neural Services that
enhance graphics, rendering, and other
types of client-side applications.
Examples of NGX AI features include
Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS),
AI InPainting, AI Super Rez, and AI
Slow-Mo.

( https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/technologies/turing-architecture/NVIDIA-Turing-Architecture-Whitepaper.pdf 07/23/2020 1:35AM PST )

Here’s the link: Hardware Ray Tracing Tips and Tricks in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation , if you want to read the official unreal engine’s documentation on ray tracing.

Regards,

Vecherka.