NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Upgraded FleX branch to 4.8 to see how using the fluid shader with 4.8 features would look. hard to capture in motion, I modified it to suit my needs more, still needs some more tweaking, but I am happy with the results in 4.8 so far.

wao are youā€™re going to use 4.8 preview? donā€™t you think better wait for 4.8?

is just experimentation for the moment, I have no qualms with updating it again to 4.8 when it is released

@, what are the 4.8 that make fluid shader look different from 4.7? I thought the main 4.8 features were DFGI and HFGI. Did you try fluid with 4.8 Gis to see if they have kind of colour bleeding or dynamic reflections? What about VXGI? Did you merge newest Flex with Newest VXGI to see how VXGI behave on them too?

@ Do you mind uploading the 4.8 Flex upgrade? Or giving instructions on how to do it myself? Thanks.

SSR and a new per-pixel surface translucent shader (with limited set of features, but I suspect that they will work to make it match the standard volumetric surface before 4.8 release). No I didnt try any of the GIā€™s with FleX. Last time I tried VXGI with FleX they did not contribute, but thats because VXGI doesnā€™t see particles yet.

Tomorrow I plan to merge HairWorks and VXGI into my 4.8 branch. Talking about VXGI, is a quick example I put together to show someone, thought it looked cool, so thought I would share:

I will upload once I have HairWorks and VXGI merged.

Thank you so much for ! my framerate has at least doubled in every scene, with very little impact on quality.

I am just wondering, would not it be better to move thread to Tools section ? I think some users can misinterpret that thread is in Feedback for Epic.

(My OCD is having hard time everytime I see thread in category, lol)

@ Could you please upload the examples you showed with the setups you did for them? Thanks.

@ Would you add a goo shader and special goo behaviour to get results like in the Flex viewer where the goo, looks different than water, feels different, heavier and viscous and has other physics and sticks to meshes and to characters when it touches them unlike water (I know you are preparing sand/dirt shader, since there are sand sampels too with much more different physics and looks than water and goo)? If not, do you have a gudie how to mimic its behaviour too look like goo and behaves like goo physically and and make it sticky like in the Flex viewer demos? Thanks.

Dont know yet, havent merged them into 4.8. Will find out soon

Which examples? The fluid?

To create the goo from the FleX demoā€™s you will want to make it more green, I donā€™t believe the goo in the demos uses a different shader, just different settings on the fluid shader. To make it behave more like goo, you want to look at viscosity (increase it). Adhesion to allow particles to stick and cohesion to give the appearance of a thicker liquid

Yes, and the VXGI smaple with reflections.

Great. Thanks. Did you try it? If so, can you please provide a nexample and upload it so I can take an idea of it? Thanks.

I am having a problem with the new flex watershader, when I place the new surfaceemitter in my own map I can still see the white balls inside the water. Is there some setting I am overlooking. Btw when I load the surfacemap from the new flex demoproject there is no problem.

UPDATE: Never mind I found the setting, choose the emitter instance (in your level) and expand the rendering settings and turn off ā€œRender in Main Passā€.

UPDATE: When adding flexsurfaceemitter to a blueprint, the editor crashes every time.

Yeah I had the same problem, and wasnā€™t able to remove them, so I just duplicated the already working one. Still looking for a solution myself. Once I finish the merged branches, I will go back to investigate.

EDIT: Okay solution is to untick Render in Main pass. That way the balls stop rendering but the fluid does (as is done in an alt pass).

Now Iā€™m really tempted to recreate scene from The Shining | watch?v=jeVfLOqtPR8

v=jeVfLOqtPR8

We are getting closer, I reckon once they implement diffuse particles, then we should be able to achieve something along those lines, right now it would look too gooey still.

Okay small update for today, I have VXGI and FleX merged together in 4.8 p3. There were a couple of things to change in VXGI to make it compatible with 4.8. I have not tested it with any of the new 4.8 features such as HFGI

Will merge in HairWorks tomorrow then upload

Wow. Thatā€™s some nice reflections on the fluid thanks to VXGI. That is what I wnated to see. If only Epic updates UE4 to support refractive and good transluscent materials. Most of the problems Flex is having having would be solved.

Btw. It seems, the fluid doesnā€™t reflect or diffuse anything on the surroundings. It seems it needs diffuse particles (and maybe caustics, ok is too much I know :p). Did you try if it has clour bleeding in lighting? Also if you mix two different fluids, does they colour mix and change (like in colour bleeding a blue wall diffusing on a yellow wall becomes green)?

VXGI already has AO, so why would you need to implement another AO solution on top?

Well it only matters if it supplements (like you said) VXGIā€™s AO.
If it really provides a higher quality AO which works nicely together with VXGI, I would be happy to see it included too. :slight_smile:

(The AO from VXGI doesnā€™t look too bad imho, maybe a bit inaccurate? But I would like to see how it looks with HBAO in comparison. BSP Blockout)
://i.imgur/hmSWhLWl.png

HBAO+ indeed has higher quality and better defintion AO, well at least till midrange levels. I donā€™t know how HBAO+ will work in dynmaic situtions caused by true dynamic GI light sources which necessitate

The use of dynamic GI solutions like VXGI which result in dynamic reflections and AO scenarios. Will HBAO+ break and create artefacts and the infamous halos(since both HBAO and HBAO+ are based on the SSAO and arenā€™t based on a world space AO solution) when the dynamic GI lightsources move or any mesh in environment move creating different situations of AO that arenā€™t tied to static lighting?