NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

OK … But i’ll hope to use the next vxgi with VXGI SOFT Shadows ! :wink:
[/QUOTE]

VXGI cannot replace shadows from regular lights, and most likely it never will. It can, however, render pretty nice shadows from area lights (emissive objects) if you use more diffuse cones, 16 for example.

If I redownload the github version and just copy/paste the SciFi Hallway content to my compiled location, willt hat work?

Probably. In theory you should get the same code whether you clone it or download the zip file.

I tried to download using github client but I always get fatal error and failed to clone error. I could clone the HairWorks branch via github client since it is not that big while I couldn’t for VXGI because it is over 2GB. I contacted github support a long time ago and he said that Github may fail to clone big files. Now zip files has missing files like I noted. It seems Github isn’t really the best choice for such NVidia big works. I never had problems with SVN. :frowning:

I have had no issues cloning the files from github, I have both the VXGI and HairWorks branches cloned right now. I can also say I am also experiencing warnings when opening the Sci-Fi demo level with a cloned version.

Really? and How did you clone both branches using github client (I don’t know how to sue gitsheel)? Did you clone HairWorks to a location then removed the UnrealEngine repository from client then cloned VXGI to anotehr loaction (which clones UnrealEngine repository with same name but has VXGI files)? Is that the procedure you followed? I read that Github client can’t clone different branches from same repository since every branch has the name of the Repository cloned each time ( UnrealEngine) and I can’t add other bbarnch content to same cloned repository sicne they both have same names. Github client isn’t that good for cloning. I really hope they solve their cloning size limit and branches cloning one day.

Im not using the Windows Git client, I am using TortoiseGit, so I just cloned the repo, then renamed the folder, and cloned again so I have UnrealEngine-HairWorks and UnrealEngine-VXGI

I always use the Git shell in a Windows PowerShell console. The Windows Git client is weak. I’ve heard good things about the Tortoise integration of Git too, some people in the office prefer that because it works pretty much like the Tortoise Subversion integration.

If you prefer a GUI, SourceTree seems pretty nice for using GitHub. I’ve used it to clone multiple versions. Though don’t ask me how to get things to actually sync on the GitHub website itself. Haven’t tried merging different branches with it yet.

So what happened with the Witcher 3? Apparently the developers said HairWorks couldn’t be optimized for AMD. I honestly prefer Nvidia DCC tools. Speaking of which, I can’t find the latest versions, nothing seems to show up on my devsupport account.

Hi, i need some help about merging several gameworks build using zip file.
I have succeed to compile hairworks, I’ like know how to merge others builds ??
Thanks.

@ I cloned VXGI branch via Github but the samples fodler didin’t appear now. Really weird. Anyway, like what said, it seems even Git version has the same problems.

It seems even Hairworks is having same problem when I open Manajaldon level, I get error:

Btw, for HairWorks I noticed that when AA is set to epic the hair strands flicker very much are discontinued dots when they move. When I set AA to low, they are a little betetr and even more hair strands become visible. You advised to disable AA. To disable AA, from what I understood,we need to turn it off from a post process volume like :

but the samples in HairWorks branch have no post process volumes to disable AA from them. So the only option is to set AA to low via setings which doesn’t solve the flickering problems once and for all. Is there a way to totally disable AA for those samples?

I also noticed, there are the human heads samples like in the 1.1 viewer but they don’t have their don’t have their own levels like Manajalodon and Mite. Putting them in a default level doesn’t bring the optimal lighting conditions for the heads and they are almost totally dark, so I have to test them in the Mnajaladon or Mite Levels. It seems each ahirworks sample needs a specific lighting condition to look alright.

I noticed in HairWorksDemo\Content\HairWorks some videos. Are they suppsoed to play in the editor in some tutorial section or what? Also the furspecular and and furwithlights shows that HairWorks can work in such situations while you said there were problems with specular and lighting conditions for UE4 integration. Was that solved with the latest build? Thanks ! :slight_smile:

Hi,

I’ll investigate the problem with the error messages. It seems that they might be inconsequential, given that you are running all of the samples. Are you actually able to see the Manjalodon? He’s the mean-looking animal with fur.

Regarding AA, I’m afraid we’ll have to live with problem for a little while. The choice was to either push first pass integration of HairWorks out onto Github now, or wait until we resolved all of these issues before pushing it out. Despite clear indications that is a WIP, not a production yet, I think it was worth distributing it as it is. I’ll ask the team if there is a way to disable the AA completely.

Regarding the human heads, the assets are there and you should be able to put them in individual levels, as far as I know. We decided to go with a single map instead of multiple maps, but we can add more as time goes on. Feel free to experiment with the assets and set up your own level. Ultimately it doesn’t seem right that each HW asset should need its own lighting, the goal should be to have multiple assets looking great in a scene with a single light setup.

I thought I had deleted all the videos from the Content section, perhaps I missed some. They were for internal use while doing the integration.

Thanks,

FleX update…Fluid Surface shaders now on Github

Hello friends,

I just finished pushing an update to the FleX branch on .git. latest update includes the long-awaited fluid surface shaders, along with numerous bug fixes and documentation update. I haven’t yet downloaded it into a clean folder for a round-trip check, please let me know if anything goes awry.

Thanks,

I can’t speak for the developer, but I can tell you that the HairWorks relies heavily on tessellation, which we believe is a better way to model hair because if it is properly set up you can afford more than a single character on-screen, and as you get closer to the character the level of detail can be progressively increased. It is well known that some GPUs perform tessellation better than others. When the dust settles, and appropriate settings are found for all hardware combinations, I think players with recent GPUs will find that HairWorks in W3 adds real visual appeal at an acceptable cost to the frame rate.

Where are you looking for the DCC tools? Devsupport.NVidia? We do have all the plugins there, both the standard versions and the HairWorks plugins. Please send me a private message and I’ll look into it.

@ yes I can see the Manjaladon. but I hope the errors in VXGI SciFi Hallway and and HairWorks Manjaladon will be solved soon. Oh and please don’t remove the videos XD. They don’t do any harm haha.

And thank you very very much for updated flew too. I really hope one day we will have a final merged bracnh for all where the flex liquid interact on hairworks with combined wet shader and when the hair strands move they react to VXGI indirect lighitng thus making self shadowing on the head really and totally realistic. I hope will be possible one day. :smiley:

BTW, I noticed ‘Merge branch FleXSurface’ of ssh://stl-git.nvidia/home/repo/UnrealEngine into FleXSurface’

What is git branch of NVidia called FlexSurface? Is it different or more updated then the UE4 integration?

That comment in the log was just a typo. We used a separate branch called ‘FleXSurface’ to develop the fluid surface shader and related changes. Today I merged the FleXSurface branch back into the FleX branch so I could push it out on Github. The comment should have read "‘Merge branch FleXSurface’ of ssh://stl-git.nvidia/home/repo/UnrealEngine into FleX’.

Great, have been waiting for the fluid shader, attempted it myself and got swallowed up by the particle code.

I can vouch for that, Titan X , game runs smooth and HairWorks looks gorgeous.

The new VXGI is !! I was pretty disappointed by the multi-bounce performance until I used the VxgiMapSize=64 and bVxgiHighQualityEmittanceDownsampling=false tweaks. Made a huge difference (from 6fps to 30fps on a GTX 670) and the lighting quality was still really impressive. You should make these the default settings in the next version.

I’m really stoked you guys made emissive lighting work as well. Lack of area lighting was one of the few major flaws of the UE4 engine. Well done, I can’t wait to see what the future of VXGI brings…

The Flex Fluid shader is definitely cool but it highlights the limitations of UE4’s current handling of translucent materials. Hopefully I can get it looking better when 4.8 finally ships.

I’m glad to see it in action though. It really is amazing.

Don’t get your hopes too high up on that. As far as it seems, 4.8 just adds a little glitter on top of the problem. The underlying still remains. There is no real translucent shading in UE4 as of now. What i mean by that is, that translucent surfaces don’t get any real lighting, they just appear totally flat. There is also no real refractive coloring or any kind of (fake) sss effect going on… Thus (deeper) water or colored glass ist something we can just try to fake or imitate, but it won’t look as good as in some other engines.
Unfortunately there is still no word on whole from epic. They said they would be working on something by last year, but since then, no news about that anymore.
I really hope they haven’t put that asside…