NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

You’re already getting 1fps on your gtx525m - isn’t that enough to show you’ve reached your limits?

I don’t get what you’re trying to prove.
Are you trying to light your gpu on fire?

Also, it clearly shows in the error log that you have set the mapsize outside of the permitted range.

It crashes even with a GTX Titan if try 256 mapsize.

StackSize 7 is the highest I can go so far with my GTX970, but I don’t really see any changes. Maybe someone can point out what the stack size does?

PS:But if you really want to set your GPU on fire, try Afterburner and set your clock speed as high as possible and turn off the fan :smiley: (don’t take sentence serious please ^^)

It controls the range of VXGI, so a higher range means a bigger area will be indirectly lit.
But it seems to mess up the voxel scaling/cascades (dunno what it’s really called) up when you set it too high.

Hi ,

Flex cloth seems really good from what I have seen in videos and tried in the executable demo. Do you think it can be used for character clothing specially that it seems to handle multiple layers and self collision very well (Imagine a character wearing a jacket, robe or a cape), can we maybe get authoring tools to change existing cloth geometry to flex at some point?

At the moment, special authoring tools are not required. The FLEX cloth assets are just normal static meshes, with a cloth FLEX data asset applied to it. The more finer the geometry, the nicer looking cloth you’ll get, the vertex colors are used to define the rigidness of the cloth. all other properties are contained in the FLEX data asset within UE4.

Perhaps already known but I can’t get GPU Particles to run stable with VXGI turned on.
The moment I flip the switch off they behave fine.

Hi , I have just compiled the new version of Flex, and I am getting a strange error, where the flex balls do not collide with anything, when opening the Flex Test maps. Are the maps included outdated or am I doing something wrong, I compiled the Substance plugin at the same time, but I don’t think that should interfere.

You need the latest NVIDIA driver, I just updated to 347.88. The new FleX uses CUDA-7, which requires the most recent driver.

For serious character clothing I would choose the clothing pipeline that is native to UE4, which is based on PxCloth (we used to call it ‘APEX Clothing’). We are doing some more work on the pipeline and tools now to make the process cleaner and more reliable. The clothing offers better control over the cloth material than you would achieve with FleX (animation blending for example), and also runs fast enough on CPU to make console and mobile use practical. FleX cloth would probably work fine for simple cloaks, ‘zombie shreds’, etc., but it is a GPU-only .

Still waiting on it . I appreciate your patience.

We’ll look into it. We are still filling out our test suite, so it’s possible that we missed it in the tests.

If we are on it.
There is nice tool inside Apex SDK, ClothingToolCHECKED. Any chances to get it compatible with Unreal ? (if it is not already that is), and improve it ?

I mean there are alot of people who simply don’t use Maya or , and DCC plugins, are just no good for them (me included).
Having dedicated standalone clothing tool, would be very nice.

And what happen to that nice documentation page Artist Guide to APEX Cloth ? It was very useful, and now I can’t find anywhere :D.

Duly noted. Our team is making a concerted effort to review and improve the clothing pipeline in UE4 right now. I’ll look into the plan for releasing the clothing tool. On the one hand we don’t want to have to rely on the clothing tool in UE4: it would be preferable to have as much control as possible built into UE4 proper, because it is troublesome to split functionality across multiple tools, versions, etc. On the other hand, I don’t use or Maya effectively either, so I appreciate your perspective personally.

Flex clothing has the ability to get torn. UE4 clothing piepline doesn’t have that. When will you merge all flex clothign features to UE4 pipline to be more flexible? Thanks

We don’t have ‘FleX clothing features’, I’m not sure what you mean . FleX provides a cloth primitive, and yes, unlike PxCloth, FleX cloth can be torn; however the clothing pipeline built atop PxCloth is more controllable in terms of stretch, bending and folding, animation blending, etc., in ways that become very important when you try to make close-fitting clothing atop a character that executes quick animations. The PxCloth solver was designed specifically to provide that level of control over the material, because the clothing on a main character has to look just right; but in order to meet those requirements, and to meet performance goals for CPU-based execution as well, things like tearing and collision with arbitrary shapes were not feasible with PxCloth, at least not yet. You should be able to apply FleX cloth to a character for simple cases where tearing is desired, but I wouldn’t expect it to behave as well as the other implementation for conventional fitted clothing.

In the flex demo samples, there is a a tab where you tear a piece of clothes. I hoped your flex tech will enable cloth tearing just like you did it for UE3 for games like Mirror’s Edge where many clothes and flags could get torn by shooting or walking through them.

Hi can you recompile flexRelease and flexReleaseExt with -fPIC CFLAG, and reupload them to github? btw the demo is working in linux and its pretty cool! Also makefile.common in ROOT is missing perhaps is expected as it should work with the flex portion of the library which is still closed source?

[2/147] Link libUE4Editor-Engine.so
/usr/bin/ld: /home//work/LinuxUnreal/UE/Engine/Source/ThirdParty//FLEX-0.8.0/lib/linux64/flexReleaseExt_x64.a(flexExt.o): realocação R_X86_64_32 contra `.rodata.str1.1' não pode ser usada quando estiver fazendo um objeto compartilhado; recompilar com -fPIC
/home//work/LinuxUnreal/UE/Engine/Source/ThirdParty//FLEX-0.8.0/lib/linux64/flexReleaseExt_x64.a: error adding symbols: Valor inaceitável
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I thought they fixed the -fpic flag, but I didn’t check it. I’ll ask about that.

Yes, we will implement the tearing in UE4 for FleX cloth.