NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

When you download the package from GitHub, did you save the Nvidia folder somewhere else and then after downloading the dependencies copy it back and let it overwrite everything?
I think there was something missing in the Nvidia folder from the VXGI branch, I’m not sure if it has been fixed yet. Maybe if you try the Merged branch?

Yes, i let it overwrite everything. If it were some missing library, it will probably complain about that instead of an undefined symbol error. Seems that the library is out of date or something.
What do you mean by the Merged branch? I can’t see it on github

Clone and run setup, not overwrite nvidia files, and it should work.
//UnrealEngine/tree/Merged

So, i downloaded the wrong branch? /NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/VXGI it’s not the correct branch?

one is Flex/VXGI merged on 4.7.3, so better I think, but that one worked fine when I used it if clone/setup not overwrite etc.

They are working on a new 4.7.3 ver I think, but if want VXGI with 4.7.3 now, is tha Man :slight_smile:

Given that we are still working on the 4.7 upgrades, and the going is slow because of having a lot of other work to do, I would say that the answer is that we would upgrade to 4.8 ‘as soon as possible’, but that we cannot guarantee any particular date. Fortunately the community is pitching in , and upgrades are being posted by community members before NV is able to publish our own.

Regarding the mainline engine integration, it is Epic’s decision, and I’m sure they have many competing interests to balance.

Well, will download it later then. Thanks man!

You guys seem to be making a bit more complicated than it should be.
I have never had problems getting every branch of vxgi to work, including the merged branch:

1. Download
  2. Run Setup.bat
  3. When it says in red “The following file(s) have been modified:” type “n”.
  4. GenerateProjectFiles.bat
  5. Open UE4.sln and build UE4
  6. Build ShaderCompilerWorker under Programs

…oh man, overcomplicating things is one of my strengths, it seems like. Thanks for giving us a heads up.

I did all that, and got the undefined symbol error that I posted before. Downloading that merged branch right now

Hi everybody,

I’m a UE4 user still new to Flex, and am extremely interested in building game-play using Flex for my physics-themed educational gaming project in the works.
I’ve got a couple of queries that I hope you guys might be kind enough to shed some light on:

• it seems to me that UE4 Flex doesn’t currently support the ability to get info back from the simulation? (eg. particle velocity/position, contact details etc which are available in the API but not actually exposed in UE4 blueprints?)
  • the contact is trickier since the API itself only seems to expose contact planes(but nothing on the forces involved), and while I can do the usual computation(particle mass*velocity change on collision) to get an inkling of the force for colliding contacts, what about stuff like resting contact forces or rolling contact frictional forces?
  • is there any hope on the horizon that *general *contact forces may be made available eventually? (isn’t just a matter of exposing something that would’ve been computed internally anyway?)
  • although Flex doesn’t currently support joints, Flex particles may be anchored to rigid bodies…thus presenting a way for Flex bodies to use the latter as proxies in order to be *indirectly *constrained by joints?
  • I was told that fracturable rigid/deformable bodies are actually supported(though the demos didn’t show )…can I presume that means I can do stuff like breaking vases, splintering wooden planks, slicing jello, cracking glass, bullet ripping through metal sheet etc…just to give some vivid examples?

Cheers :slight_smile:

Workshop Foundry

What is the possibility of VXGI becoming a plugin? Currently I have Unreal Engine installed twice, totalling 43 GB on a 250 GB SSD :stuck_out_tongue:
Is something that will happen in the future or should I be dumping the official build?

I dont think so, it has too many integrations into the actual engine. I believe WaveWorks and FLEX could potentially become plugins, but I dont see anyway that VXGI could. Unless more of the renderer is exposed to plugins. I suspect if anything it could come integrated with UE4 as default, and be switched on/off but thats about it.

Interesting questions not looked into contact information myself yet. Regarding your last point isn’t most of that covered with Destruction anyway? For the jello/jelly example you would want a spring based solution as with the cloth examples I would think, but otherwise I don’t understand how using Flex may have benefits over Destruction for those simulations.

Well for one, the Destruction in UE4 only works for rigid bodies(and still limited to the old-fashioned way of breaking off pre-defined chunks), which precludes like bending until breaking.
If Flex already supports , I imagined it’d make much more sense for developers who want flexible stuff that can break(and break in a more realistic procedural manner) to use Flex as an all-in-one.

Yeah, Epic should do one or the other. If I can run it on a GTX 580 as is, on Epic graphics mode, then it cannot be too expensive to support. As an artist, lightmaps take up an insane amount of my time and are incredibly restrictive. They need to go!

Ok, thanks for the reply. It will be interesting to see the technology and applications develop.

, is there more progress on merging HBAO to 4.7 build? Would be lovely to have it. Oh, and thanks for your efforts!

Yeah hopefully tomorrow I will be able to upload, apologies for the delays, Flex took away a lot of my time, trying to get particles rendering as fluid, taking more time than I had hoped.

! Thanks again, dude!