NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Oh? I will wait then, thanks.

I am SO excited for vxgi 2.0 - to meet visual targets for our game!! Are we looking at 4.19 + vxgi 2.0 release before May, still, or has it been pushed back? :3

Hi everyone,

UE 4.19 branch with VXGI 2.0 is up on GitHub: /tree/VXGI2-4.19

I’ll try to answer your questions about it .

Nice job !
Now just have to wait for the merged GameWorks git ^^

They’ve updated Flow for 4.19 as well: /tree/NvFlow-4.19

I’d also love to get some NVIDIA staff response on what’s going on with the TXAA’s UE4 integration. They also seem to neglect the thread on the repo about it. I could never get it to work (it compiles but it looks 100% same as Unreals built-in TAA, I have exactly same ghosting with it so it’s safe to say it’s not really running on TXAA). The branch on TXAA is also pretty old (based on 4.16) and it has some issues, like if you resize the viewport in editor it will just crash right away.

Ok, I’ll ping the author of that branch (or take a look at it myself).

THAT TIMING, THOUGH!! dies happily

I just went ahead and ported the TXAA integration to 4.19 and fixed the crash on viewport resize. It’s not perfect (e.g. I expect the dynamic resolution will not work properly yet), but it’s better than before.

To make sure that you’re using TXAA and not built-in TAA, do something to break it, for example set r.TXAA.EnableColorClipping to 0 and observe trailing artifacts when moving the camera.

@

Hey while you are I have question.

Did you considered optimizing Voxelization pass to not happen every frame ? Ie. do not revoxelize static objects, voxelize further cascades less often (every N frames). Etc ?

On complex scenes consistently even on 1080ti Voxelization pass is most time consuming. It would do wonders to make VXGI more scalable to lower end hardware.

Why when allow static light is disconnected, in case of switching on of vxgi 2.0, the engine crash? Почему когда отключен allow static light, при включении vxgi 2.0, движок крашется?

Thank you, I’ll check the new branch :slight_smile:

Why when allow static light is disconnected, in case of switching on of vxgi 2.0, the engine crash?
[/QUOTE]

I noticed . If you disable static lighting from project settings and enable VXGI, engine will crash immediately on VxgiRendering.cpp while trying to read nonexisting SceneContext.GBufferE.

Why when allow static light is disconnected, in case of switching on of vxgi 2.0, the engine crash? Почему когда отключен allow static light, при включении vxgi 2.0, движок крашется?
[/QUOTE]

Fixed. Исправлено. :slight_smile:

Considered - yes, implemented - not yet.

There are two feasible options. One is to only update dynamic objects (not just UE-dynamic, but also moving static meshes) and regions that were not covered on the previous frame. is somewhat problematic because it relies on the engine being able to compute accurate bounding boxes for dynamic objects, and also update parts of the static objects that happen to intersect with dynamic. Adding direct lights makes even more fun because shadows potentially depend on objects far away, and objects that receive the shadows then also need to be updated.

The second option is to freeze the voxel representation for some number of frames while the game/project knows that things are static. is relatively easy, but it will lead to stutter when something does change, and voxelization needs to happen. A more advanced version of would perform voxelization of a complex scene over multiple frames, while VXGI lighting will be either turned off or based on the previous voxel data (with the latter requiring changes to VXGI itself to handle two sets of voxel data).

Thank you. Спасибо. Если можно последний вопрос- Почему собранный движок иногда подвисает? не используя даже vxgi. В то время как движок от лаунчера допустим идет гладко. причина в сборке или так должно быть? Спасибо оперативность.

@ I tried TXAA3-4.19 and now it does give slightly different visuals on my testing. It doesn’t really perform that well in comparison to unreals built-in TAA on my trivial ghosting test but one can tell it’s not same ghosting anymore. For comparison shots:

's Nvidias TXAA 3:
and UE4’s TAA:

Ghosting isn’t that bad on normal use cases, I just use that test as it brings the worst out of temporal AAs and can show what might happen on noisy materials.

As as side note, TXAA crashes UE4 instantly on postrprocessing pass if unreals forward shading is enabled. Is Nvidias TXAA supposed to work in forward at all?

Oh that scene is definitely a difficult case for the T(X)AA neighborhood filter. Try setting r.TXAA.UseRGB = 1, but I don’t expect it’ll become much better. Basically, the filter sees that the road has a range of colors from black to white, and the car falls roughly into the same range, so it’s considered to be road as well. It should be better if there is some chromatic difference between the car and the road.

I’ll need to look into the forward shading.

Let’s stick to English …
I’m not sure why the non-VXGI engine that you build yourself sometimes lags, compared to the binaries from Epic. Are you building the Development Editor configuration? Are you running it from Visual Studio - if so, will it still lag if you use Debug / Start Without Debugging command? In any case, you should probably discuss with Epic support.

Hi , thanks for the the VXGI 2.0 update. Started diving into the new post process format.

Do you have suggestions for an extreme performance setup that would be similar to former:
VXGI diffuse only - 4 Cones - 3 Tracing Sparsity - Cone Rotation On - Refine Space tracing On - Multi-bounce On - MapSize 64.

After trying Tracing-resolution Quarter-Res, MapsizeX/Y/Z 64 and Quality/sample Rate to .5 i feel like i lost a couple frame per second compared to my former performance setup.

I’m merely trying to define an extreme performance setup that should run on a amount of users.

Edit: The VXGI pdf at the root of the engine build has actually been updated with the new vxgi format and lots of information.