NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Grab LukaszPJWSTK build? :smiley:

Can anyone try and reproduce problem?

Planar Reflections in 4.12.5 (they capture VXGI): https://i.gyazo/b0b2e38171dc8c785a65ed02dcc8f22c.jpg

Planar Reflections in 4.15.1 (they do not capture VXGI): https://gyazo/9bfce731483771dfd8c54cc06ccc1909

There is a checkbox that says “Enable VXGI?” but doesn’t do anything. In 4.15.1 there is way more options for planar reflections than in 4.12.5. Would be appriciated if someone provided a fix aswell.

Nice one bro!

Hello there,

Just one quick question since I was not able to use LukaszPJWSTK build.

I got stuck at step 7; building the UE4.sln gave me some errors.

What should I do with the 4th step? I don’t understand it. Also, I downloaded the files in ZIP format. Does cause my lack of understanding?
Furthermore, since my Unreal Engine version is 4.16.0 instead of 4.15.1, can I still get it working? Maybe is the problem.

Looks very interesting!

Hello,

If I take the current VRWorks Audio plugin for 4.15 and put it in a 4.16 build, would it work with the new audio engine? I would like to compare it to Steam Audio and some custom audio synthesis I’m developing that requires the new audio engine.

Thanks!

I doubt it. I did a quick compare between standard UE4 code and that nvidia branch and a few of the files that are changed belong to the old audio engine as best I can tell.

Other versions of UE4 you already have installed wont affect , it is it’s own copy of the editor.

Make sure you have git command line tools installed. Then the following sort of command should get you a version that compiles. Dont download a zip, do instead. When I tried a few days ago it worked, I got some warnings during build but not errors:

navigate to a new folder you want to install version in.
git clone https://github/lukaszPJATK/UnrealEngine.git
cd UnrealEngine
setup
generateprojectfiles
git checkout Everything
generateprojectfiles
open sln
build
you can then run executable UnrealEngine/Engine/Binaries/Windows/UE4Editor

Hi,

For those using WaveWorks,
Is there any buoyancy system integrated in it? I can’t find any sign of such anywhere in the template while everyone on the Internet seems to be able to do so. Am I missing something?

Many thanks!
-Reelie

Thanks, I’ll try that as soon as possible!

More FLOW Questions!

Hello and thank you all for your help getting FLOW working in my UE4 projects!

If there is some other place where Flow is being discussed, please let me know. I can’t find much information on it, guess that’s what we get for being on the bleeding edge. :smiley:

Questions:

1. I’m working on a smaller project and want to include flow. The map is a rectangular arena that is around 4 standard/default flow grids long, and one default flow grid wide. Would it be better to have 4 unmovable flow grids placed on my level, or one massive one with increased cell size? I’m looking for optimization over anything as I was some flame throwers and ignitable gas clouds - the more I can have at once the better.

2. Most of what I’ve got out of flow so far has been beautiful fires and mushrooming plumes of smoke and flame - which looks amazing. I’m trying to make more of a flamethrower that stretches out far horizontally, but increasing velocity enough to get close to the effect I’m looking for causes the flame to be too violently chaotic and drops my FPS by around 30. I’m hoping there’s a way to get the flames to stretch out horizontally while still looking somewhat smooth and to eat less FPS… has anyone achieved ?

3. And finally, the ground in my arena is generated by voxelfarm using a modified procedural mesh component. Distance fields seem to be unable to generate for it since its procedural and generates/deforms during runtime. I’ve changed its collision preset to block the flow channel, but the gas goes right through it - are distance fields 100% required for flow interaction, or am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance everyone, I greatly appreciate it!!

1.) Multiple grids are currently completely independent, so higher performance cost than a single grid. You can move grids now though, which would allow you to keep a single grid within some LOD region.

2.) The simulation does not yet support liquid fuel, which would help with the horizontal stretch. For now, you can have multiple Flow emitters that shoot out from the flamethrower nozzle to emulate the effect. (Shoot out like a particle with a short lifetime.)

3.) Distance fields are not required. The Flow block flag collision does use the collision shape though, and supports spheres, boxes, capsules, convexes.

Hi man, is there any you could push the mentioned separate build with VXGI included? That would help me a ton as it’ll be my go-to production build before 4.16 merged builds are stable, which I guess would be at least takes a couple of months. Thank you in advance for your help. Cheers!

+1 I didn’t find anything about buoyancy too!!

@Reelie
As SteveElbows mentioned, You should use git to clone repository instead of downloading a zip archive. But maybe if you change branch (on GitHub page) to Everything and download zip from branch, then copy and rewrite files from zip archive you previously extracted, it would work. could be equivalent of step 4 in my instruction but I don’t guarantee would work :slight_smile:
Somehow I can’t enlarge your attached image with errors and as far as I know, even if you skipped step 4, it should still compile, so it’s a bit strange.

also +1 for question about built-in buoyancy system.

Have you looked at the Vorticity settings on your Flow Material?

If you reduce the Vorticity strength from it’s default value of nine to say three or four you can get a smoother flow of particles being spawned from the emitter and get the emitter to project particles further for any given velocity.

Otherwise I’d suggest looking at the following settings to improve the framerate associated with your flow emitter:

• As suggested earlier create a movable Flow Grid that follows your character vs tiling your entire level with Flow Grids.
  • Go with as small a Virtual Grid Dimension as possible, I typically go with a Virtual Grid Dimension of EFGD 256.
  • Increase the Grid Cell Size from 3.125 to say 4.0.
  • Turn off rendering shadow ( can be very expensive even though it looks ).
  • Turn down the simulation rate, in many cases you can get away with 30 FPS without any super noticeable artifacts.
  • Look at the collision settings in your level and turn off Flow collision on objects where you won’t notice the particles passing through the objects.

Finally I’ve observed that framerates don’t appear to decrease linearly with the size/complexity of the Flow Emitter.
I can have a level running at 90 FPS in VR and make a small change to the size of the emitter and the FPS will drop to 44 FPS, so gradually increase the size/complexity of your emitter and observe where that performance cliff is for your level/emitter combination.

I hope helps,

Hey LukaszPJWSTK, I just want to clearify - I downloaded your Everything branch, compiled and everything works fine.
It seams I didn’t have to make any overwrite.
So far tested VXGI, Flex and Volumetrics.

@seiumeo hey, so i’ve been able to clone your fork, check out the flex+hairworks+vxgi+flow branch, i’ve run setup.bat and was able to generate visual studio files. but when i try to build the engine i get the following errors. Any suggestions?

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C2535 ‘void IRHICommandContext::RHIUpdateTextureReference(FTextureReferenceRHIParamRef,FTextureRHIParamRef)’: member function already defined or declared ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\DynamicRHI.h 592
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for '#if/#elif’C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHI.h(15): warning C4668: ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHI.h 15
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\DynamicRHI.h 568
Error C2535 ‘void IRHICommandContext::RHIUpdateTextureReference(FTextureReferenceRHIParamRef,FTextureRHIParamRef)’: member function already defined or declared ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\DynamicRHI.h 592
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\DynamicRHI.h 568
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\DynamicRHI.h 1343
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\DynamicRHI.h 1343
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for '#if/#elif’C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHI.h(15): warning C4668: ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\RHICommandList.h 1593
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\RHICommandList.h 1593
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\RHICommandList.h 2462
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\RHICommandList.h 2462
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\RHICommandList.h 1593
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHI.h 15
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\RHI.h 15
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHICommandListCommandExecutes.inl 469
Warning C4668 ‘WITH_GFSDK_SSAO’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHI.h 15
Warning C4668 ‘VXGI_STRIP_SHADERS’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Developer\Windows\ShaderFormatD3D\Private\D3D11ShaderCompiler.cpp 721
Warning C4668 ‘VXGI_STRIP_SHADERS’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ ShaderCompileWorker C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Developer\Windows\ShaderFormatD3D\Private\D3D11ShaderCompiler.cpp 1253
Error Failed to produce item: C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\ShaderCompileWorker\Development\ShaderCompileWorker-ShaderCore.lib ShaderCompileWorker C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR 1
Error MSB3075 The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -waitmutex” exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run command. ShaderCompileWorker C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 41
Error C2535 ‘void IRHICommandContext::RHIUpdateTextureReference(FTextureReferenceRHIParamRef,FTextureRHIParamRef)’: member function already defined or declared UE4 c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\DynamicRHI.h 592
Error C2535 ‘void IRHICommandContext::RHIUpdateTextureReference(FTextureReferenceRHIParamRef,FTextureRHIParamRef)’: member function already defined or declared UE4 c:\users\jjjreisss\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\DynamicRHI.h 592
Warning C4668 ‘_WINDLL’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ UE4 C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\GameWorks\GFSDK_SSAO\include\GFSDK_SSAO.h 137
Warning C4668 ‘VXGI_STRIP_SHADERS’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ UE4 C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Developer\Windows\ShaderFormatD3D\Private\D3D11ShaderCompiler.cpp 721
Warning C4668 ‘VXGI_STRIP_SHADERS’ is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with ‘0’ for ‘#if/#elif’ UE4 C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Developer\Windows\ShaderFormatD3D\Private\D3D11ShaderCompiler.cpp 1253
Error Failed to produce item: C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Engine.lib UE4 C:\Users\jjjreisss\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR 1
Error MSB3075 The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development -waitmutex” exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run command. UE4 C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 41

@jawnbilletes I think you should checkout @. build with Flex/Flow/Hairworks/VL in 4.15.3 at https://github/MaximeDup/UnrealEngine which is much more stable than my build. There’s no VXGI there but he mentioned he might push another branch with VXGI integrated so stay tuned :).

Well, I found a video in youtube about waveworks. I don’t know how he did it. He enable the buoyancy.v=CS0KU0oF3Q8 @LukaszPJWSTK @Reelie @. [MENTION=669668]Lands Unknown[/MENTION] @jamietelford