Not getting the same character graphics when imported from 3ds max to Unreal engine 4

Hi,

Below picture shows my character in 3ds max

afb6f6e0423c57eceda32c2e33b3ed6f34c4c6cd.jpeg

And the below pic shows the same character as imported in Unreal engine 4 (ignore the difference in hair. Hairmesh is imported seperately).

b4fc342af0a86b599970506aeda4c843f6c533f3.jpeg

As you can see , the quality is far far better in 3ds max. Am I doing anything wrong? What changes do I need to make to make it look exactly like it looks in 3ds max?

This mostly has to do with your material setup, and the fact that you’ve got some hard lighting going on in Persona. Aside from that, I don’t really see much of a difference, hair aside.

Drop the character into your level with a skylight + cubemap, and the material (if its using PBR standards) should pick up on some of the lighting.

Also some of the perceived distortion is probably caused by the difference in camera focal length settings. This can pretty dramatically effect the way the character looks from different angles. I tend to like a less dramatic setting than the engine default which is 90 fov. I think if you set it to 40 it will be closer to what a default camera from max or maya looks like. Cheers.

Not sure what was the issue , but after reimporting , it looks brilliant now.

2b8607af5bbd580cfe308b63cebb384edbfc38aa.jpeg

The only major difference from the last one is that I merged all the textures of hands , torso and face together in one texture file. But that is not relevant I think. Any guess what might be the error in the first import?

I’m not noticing any quality differences between the screenshots, in the last one the only difference I can see is that it has specular highlights.