Normal - Docs request: please bring back the instructions for converting Static Mesh to Building Prop

12/28/22 Update:

Creators - For a crowdsourced unofficial version of the Mesh to Prop conversion steps, check @Cardin 's guide here: Community Guide - Make a creative prop from a static mesh - #3 by BlueClairy Thanks, Cardin!

This brings up some broader thoughts for me:

While I’m grateful community members are stepping up to help each other convert props, I still wish Epic would publish a public, standardized guide. Cardin’s working instructions are very different from the working ones I was using, which I remembered from the docs.

I understand Epic’s stated reasoning (Blueprints won’t be in Public Beta). However, in a creator community, when there is no official public source for a crucial piece of info, that info (or even incorrect/conflicting versions of it) spreads through word of mouth between creators instead. Creators who don’t have the social skills or time to make friends in the community are left out of the loop and their work is hampered. This preventable social dynamic could potentially turn toxic and insular as more and more creators from outside of Creative (e.g me, from Core) migrate to UEFN. Helpful, experienced creators can mitigate this by sharing info publicly, but Epic writes the docs and sets the tone.

===========================================================

12/9/22 Original Post:

Epic docs team, could you please bring back the Static Mesh to Building Prop conversion instructions that were removed from the docs webpage a while ago? Weeks (months?) ago they used to live in as section underneath “Creating and Working with Content,” but now they’re gone. The process with the Blueprint was a little confusing, but creators having no instructions is worse than us having confusing instructions.

Creators, please upvote if you agree. :pray:

Because it’s not mentioned in the docs anymore, newer Alpha testers may not even be aware that it’s possible to convert custom meshes into Building Props that behave like a normal FN prop and can be destroyed, harvested, and used with devices and Verse.

Recently I was able to convert my own meshes based on remembered instructions and with some help from @FunkinMonkey (Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face: :pray:), but I can’t guarantee that I’m doing it right, and I don’t know if the conversion process will change soon. So I would rather direct creators to an official docs page than try to explain it to others myself. FunkinMonkey mentioned that new docs will be dropping soon. Will prop conversion will be included in those docs?

Thanks! :blue_heart:

Maybe there is a reason they removed it? They did say the process was a little weird, and that it’s hard to document a shifting toolset, so maybe a new process is underway and they are prepping for it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering that too. The process is definitely not super beginner friendly, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an easier method planned for Public Beta. The reason I posted this feedback now is that I just updated my Sprigs devlog today with some Building Props I created, and currently there’s nowhere I can direct creators who want to convert their own art into interactable props like I did. https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/sprigs-devlog-update-5-tidying-leaves-and-pawprints/657293/1

Last week @Cleverlike_Studios mentioned in the Discord that they had forgotten a step in the prop conversion process and they couldn’t find the instructions. So this is still information that people need. Regardless of whatever easier conversion process is in the works for the future, creators are making their projects now with the tools we currently have.

1 Like

Would very much so love for these to be returned or replaced!!

1 Like

Yesss and thanks for the upvote, if that was you! I realize that the Blueprints system for Building Prop conversion is kinda complicated and may be replaced soon, but it was a huge, long-term blocker for my project when I had trouble with the instructions, so I want other creators to have more clarity

1 Like

upvoted

1 Like

Upvoted… :grin:

1 Like

I talked to the Docs team and it looks like that doc won’t be resurrected, mostly because it had a lot of out-of-date info. They are looking to add some new relevant documentation though, in the new year.

In the mean time, the lovely Andrea sent me this. Apologies if it doesn’t help.

If they want an object they import to be destructible they can check the Can Be Damaged option in the Details panel when they select their asset in the viewport.

1 Like

Ok, makes sense. If the outdated instructions don’t work then they wouldn’t be useful to creators. I look forward to seeing the new, improved documentation soon :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t personally need instructions atm because I already converted my meshes to props, but I’m sure other creators will appreciate them.

Raising awareness of the “Can be Damaged” option is a good start, so thanks to Andrea for that!

The reason why this issue felt important enough to me to inspire a feedback post for it is that it feels unfair to me that while some older creators have been able to convert meshes to interactable props based on the old system, other creators don’t have the current instructions and may not even know the feature exists. So it’s an unintentional gatekeeping dynamic.

My gameplay and artstyle for my main UEFN project relies heavily on the prop conversion feature. If I hadn’t known about the feature or hadn’t had access to the instructions, I likely wouldn’t have been able to plan and create my current game.

I know the Epic team already understands this dynamic, I just wanted to share my rationale.

Bumping this post to surface a link to Cardin’s crowdsourced version of the Static Mesh to Prop conversion instructions. https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/guide-make-a-creative-prop-from-a-static-mesh/735907/3

1 Like