Noisy / Blotchy Shadows in UE5

When I use sunlight it gets noisy. I cant increase the source angle :frowning: Does anyone know how to fix it??

1 Like

As of now, there is no possible way that I know to fix this.
But in UE5 docs it is noted and said will be fixed in future versions(5.0)

What does the Lumen Scene visualization look like?

I wouldn’t really call it a fix but the way I found around this is to change the reflection method to ray-traced in the project settings. Its still not perfect but its less distracting at least to my eye.

Difference shown below. If there has any changes in the time since this was originally posted then my bad I’m not up to date with everything unreal as of yet.

Check this out. Helped me with a lot of shadow issues. Also try changing the mesh which the kitchen projects shadows on. Ive had a similar issue with some corrupted meshes and had to change it ( I still dont know how to fix it)

1 Like

Check this Tutorial out -

I learned about lumen through this and while creating an indoor scene there were some shadow patches with lumen which cannot be fixed.

check at 1hr 50 min.

I don’t know if it can help
But I had the same problem with a metal object, thin. I had the default lighting system of Unreal too. When I put the screen percentage 85 to 200, the noise disappared. It just work in editor. In UE4, it was in the post process but I don’t know why it’s not here anymore.

Viewport Options > Screen Percentage

Increasing Screen Percentage makes the noise resolution higher, thus it looks better. But I’m not sure if this is best solution because of performance cost. (I am just a complete beginner in Unreal Engine who started watching tutorials yesterday.)

3 Likes

Works fine to me… congratulations and thank u ThalesMML!!
Adding ThalesMML tip… you can increasing Screen Percent when your Render have be done… when you working, your Screen Percent can down number for better performance

3 Likes

I got similar problem while using Virtual Shadow Maps(it seems it is still in beta)
When I changed it to Shadow Maps, the noisy shadow were gone!

1 Like

Yeah, but you also loose your diffuse are shadows, if you had it. VSM are useful for that purpose.
Anyway, you only had noise shadows at the penumbra area; noise shadows at “intern” area won’t be solved with that method.

The noisy shadows are due to the attempted contact hardening via Shadow Map Ray-tracing. It yields better results than traditional shadowmaps while attempting to be cheaper than full RT shadows. By increasing the ray count in a CVar you clean up the noise, put help into the console and look for something such as virtual shadow map samples.

By and large, VSMs can’t do contact hardening in the same way RT shadows can, but it eliminates stair-stepping.

Helped for me! thats magic, i would never look that direction!

I have a related issue with the shadows, some are like blurred patches projected on the Landscape surface produced by objects, in the scene the camera object and foliage produce the shadows, don’t know why but I can’t find a fix for this. In the scene this happens when two shadows overlap and the camera view is close to the object