No sound for a customer in VR game

I’m stuck.

I have a user who is using an HTC and reporting that they are not getting sound in my game and they’re not getting sound within “The Brookhaven Experiment”. They are able to get sound with every other VR game online.

I created an empty project and put a sound asset in there which plays 2 minutes of music, all with default settings. Then I packaged it up, tested it, verified that it works on my hardware and has sound, and then sent it off to the user. They tried it and reported that they don’t get sound.

I then modified the blank project and disabled the “Enable VR” node in the “Begin Play” event, so the game launches in windowed mode. I packaged it, tested it, sent it off, and the customer reported that they got sound.

Could it be an engine problem?

I asked him to send me a list of all the VR games which he gets sound in. Here’s his list:

Cosmic Trip

Draconic Order

Job Simulator

Kismet

Left-Hand Path

Out of Ammo

Pipejob

Rec Room

The Solus Project

Soundboxing

SoundStage

Spell Fighter VR

Subnautica

Surgeon Simulator VR: Meet The Medic

Surgeon Simulator ER

Tabletop Simulator

Tilt Brush

Universe Sandbox

Vanishing Realms

Windlands

Craft Keep VR

Sword Master VR

Waltz of the Wizard

non steam game Yiffalicious (This one I know for sure is made in unity)

The Lab

Holopoint

We know that “The Solus Project” was made in UE4, and if he’s reporting that he gets sound, then it can’t be an engine specific problem (unless its a specific engine version problem).

What we know:

-Using SteamVR with HTC

-Sound works with “The Solus Project”, which is made in UE4

-Creating a blank, vanilla UE4.13 project which plays sound works when NOT in vr, but FAILS when in VR.

-Using the audio port on the back of the

-user is on a laptop with NVidia GTX 950

-All drivers are up to date

-All unity VR games work without any issues

What I’m uncertain on:
-Whether “The Solus Project” starts with VR automatically enabled or not
-Is it a SteamVR configuration issue?
-Is it a hardware incompatibility issue?

Any ideas what could be causing this? Are there any sound configuration settings I need to do on the project side?

Hello ,

I noticed that you said that you were able to reproduce this issue with a clean project that was provided to the user that you are trying to help. Could you provide that project/packaged version so that I can test to see if this issue occurs on our end?

Yes: Here are the two links I have sent out:

A) Dropbox - Error

B) Dropbox - Error

The user said that they did not get sound for A, but they did get it for B.

After running tests on the provided projects, I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. I was able to hear sound just fine in “Project A”. I would suggest restarting the computer and the headset to make sure that the head set is being registered. I would also have them check to make sure that the sound for the is the default out put.

Hello ,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will follow up.

Thanks,

I have the same problem, no sound in unreal engine game in vr with htc

Hello Jack100387,

I have a few quick questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any settings/blueprints that may be involved with this issue?

Hi Rudy, i think the problem is my GPU, i’ll try soon with another pc

Feel free to update the thread with more information after you finished testing.