No sound (editor and in-game)

Hi there,

from one day to another all sound functionality in my project seems broken. In game view, there is no sound at all, same goes for realtime audio in editor.

But here’s the really strange thing: After restarting the editor I can hear my ambient music in my current level for about 1 second - after that, the engine is completely silent. Even when selecting a audio file in the content browser and hitting ‘play’ I can hear nothing at all.

When I wait a few minutes and then switch back to the editor window it sometimes works again (can here the ambient music). But when I start the game, it’s broken again (and stays broken in editor).

I have enabled sound in play view of course:

In the log it says:

LogInit: XAudio2 using ‘Lautsprecher
(High Definition Audio-Gerät)’ : 2
channels at 44.1 kHz using 16 bits per
sample (channel mask 0x3) LogInit:
FAudioDevice initialized.

I am using a standard stereo speaker setup and on board audio (which works well in other applications).

In my WindowsEngine.ini it says:

[Audio] AudioDeviceModuleName=XAudio2

Engine version: 4.6 (GitHub)
CPU: Haswell 4670
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 760

I know this is going to sound basic, and lame, but I did have this happen to me once and I fixed it by updating my audio drivers.

Check which audio device you have:

• Press Windows Key + Pause.
  • In the window that appears, select Device Manager.
  • Click the Arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers.
  • Your sound card is in the list that appears.
  • Right-click your audio device (mine is Realtek Digital Output) > Properties > Driver > Update Driver
  • If it’s unable to update, you can look in the internets for one and download it. Make sure you’re grabbing one from the official website though.

Obviously you may have already tried this or know you’re up-to-date but thought it was worth mentioning.

Hi Thor,

thank you, but my driver is up to date and works well in all other games and applications.

Hey ,

Are you doing anything with code when implementing sound?

Cheers,

Hi AndrewHurley,

no, we don’t do anything fancy here. Basically just playing some mono and stereo sounds, that’s it (AFAIK HRTF etc. doesn’t work anyway for VR, does it?)

Hey ,

I am assuming you have checked the Real Time Audio setting within the viewport?

Let me know if this worked or you have checked this setting already.

Thank you,

1 Like

No, tried that many times.

Do you have speakers attached to your monitor?

Normal PC-Speakers, analog out.

1 Like

Hey again ,

If you are using the “Update Driver…” button within the Device Manager of Windows, you will usually not find the update. Your driver is actually out of date according to the Realtek website. I actually updated mine recently with this driver as well.

Realtek Audio Drivers
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsview.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#1

Download the new driver for the Windows 64-bit and then check to see if this helps your issue. Definitely restart your computer after updating your driver. Let me know what the outcome is after doing so, and if you still need help.

Cheers,

Ok, updated driver, restarted system. Didn’t change anything. Just forget it for now but thank you anyway.

Hey ,

I wanted to touch base again with another suggestion to try and get your sound to work. Go into the ‘Config’ folder within the Unreal Projects directory for the project you are experiencing issues. Before making any changes to the .ini folders, create a copy and move them to a different location, like your desktop.

Now delete your projects .ini folders and save the changes made. Re-open your project and check to see if sounds work at all within the engine. Let me know if you have attempted this suggestions, and if it worked for you.

Cheers,

Hi Andrew,

many thanks for picking this up again. Unfortunately, I am not part of this project anymore, so I cannot access the current source files. But I’m sure, anyone else experiencing the same issue will appreciate your suggestion.

No problem. I did not want to leave you out in the cold with no alternative solution.

You are welcome. Hopefully the suggestion helps them!

Really appreciate that. I will mail that solution to the current team in case that this issue still remains.

I had a similar problem because I was using the wrong type of audio file (MP3 instead of WAV). A converter like this one (http://www.online-convert.com/) might solve it.

Removing the ini files fixed a similar problem for me.

Hi,
I’d like just inform you about one feature that solved my problem with sound in Standalone Game…

Don’t forget to disable “Disable Sound” option in Editor Pref./LevelEditor/Play …it helped me !

Bye

This is an old thread, but to me it was the first result on Google on this issue, so I’m going to add something.

I didn’t have any audio in the editor. I do a lot of audio work and I didn’t have my Speakers device set as the Default Communication Device. Selecting that option in the Windows Sound settings fixed the problem.