No render farm in UE?

I’m coming to UE5 after 7 years of using Blender. I utilized a renderfarm with Blender. Currently I have 5 machines with RTX 3090’s. I made the switch to UE 5.1 and have been using it for a few months now. Was excited to switch to UE 5.1 and be able to have real-time features. I upgraded my workstation with two RTX 4090’s for video editing and UE 5.1 Obviously I have learned that UE 5.1 does not support multiple GPUs for rendering. Big disappointment! It is advertised that UE 5.1 supports multiple GPUs using path tracer to render, but I have not been able to get this to work, nor have I heard of anyone getting it to work. In fact, I haven’t heard anything about it at all anywhere. It’s like it doesnt exist. Then I looked into render farm capabilities only to learn UE5 has no render farm capability nor is there any support for a local render farm! Is this for real?! It’s 2022! UE5 must be the only 3D application that doesn’t support it. So then I moved one of my RTX 4090 cards to a separate machine so I can render on one machine and build my animations on the other machine while I wait. I tried multi-user editing but when one machine starts rendering and I work on the other machine it causes UE to freeze up. So I’m at a loss here – is the only way to use UE on a single GPU? I have two 4090’s and 5 3090’s and there is no possible way to utilize UE with any more than one single GPU. After using UE for several months this has got to be the most surprising and most disappointing shortcoming of UE. So here I am, waiting for an hours for one single GPU to render cinematics. And while I wait, I cannot even work on more animations, even with TWO workstations. Is there no way out of this confinement? UE5 looks like it has so much potential but it’s like being held back from a more productive and efficient workflow. The vantage ground I’ve gained by ditching the renderfarm and switching to UE I’ve lost by UE’s lack of dual GPU support, lack of a renderfarm and lack of the ability to work on a UE project on one machine while the other one renders. I hope I am missing something here.

Hey there @MichaelRev1412! I’m no expert on the delegation of rendering, so I’ll leave some resources to see if these may be of use. I know UE can delegate it’s swarm agents (for lighting) natively, and also pass along GPU tasks, but don’t know too much about the process. Could you take a look at this thread and this service to see if it would fit your requirements? (Not that you’d use the service but proof of concept that you can work it out with the knowledge)

I’ve seen this mentioned before but have no working knowledge of it myself, maybe it might meet your needs:

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums. This is also not an endorsement of this service.

Thanks. Yes I’ve read that thread. It’s eight years old and there is still no solution for a local render farm. It’s just building light maps with multiple GPUs, but not rendering. Wouldn’t be surprised if the cloud rendering services are still rendering with a single GPU as there seems to be no way to do it otherwise.

Upon deeper inspection, it’s referenced on all of the render farm services they all use single GPU servers, so I believe you’re right there that there isn’t a native way to split the rendering. Seems like the drawback of specializing in real time rendering in this case. You still would be able to maybe spin up different instance of the project and render out different cuts separately and blend them later in edit. That’s definitely not ideal unfortunately.

I have the same problem here. Im trying to figure it out how “Render (Remote)” works for Movie Render Queue, but no lucky and no info on web also. I mean, they put button called “Render (Remote)”, so I suppose there is option for that. But how to configure other remote node machines?

Hi all,

About a month after this thread was created, an official tutorial about render farms was released.

Cheers

1 Like